A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,893
Currently Running With Scissors:
310 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first post on this board *pic heavy*  (Read 1234 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
GreenDuck
« on: March 06, 2009 09:48:47 AM »

I was bullied into taking Art last year and spent a lot of time working on it when I had other subjects to do as well (I work really slowly) so I want to show stuff off. It was for a Scottish Higher: You do two topics, Design and Expressive, with three A2 sheets of work for each. This is some of my Expressive- the theme was 'The Thief'. The first sheet is studies, the second compositions and the final sheet is a full size picture.

Oil pastel study of candlestick

Oil pastel study of eyes- they told me when I'd already stuck everything down that for portraiture you need a bit of face on every sheet!

White paint study of gloves. I kinda wish I'd left out the background on this this; it looked better beforehand.

Pencil study of keys

Coloured pencil study of necklace

Paint study of broken glass

Final Painting (it is a boy, honest)

Sorry for my rubbishness at taking photos and thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009 08:31:06 AM by GreenDuck - Reason: to fix picture links » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have lots of white pillow feathers to get rid of. PM me if you are in Britain and would like some!
Pi314

<3 Arts & Aerosol

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009 10:22:22 AM »

ooh!
the painted glass is so ill,
and the painting of a boy, i would hang that on my wall, it's just that rad.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If it ain't sweet then I won't eat it,
if it ain't green then I don't need it.
I've been smoking so much trees
my people think that I'm a vegan."
LunarPowered

Crafty, Culture-Conscious, Creature-loving Cowgirl

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009 10:24:02 AM »

great job. Agreed about the glass, its great. Also I admire all those who tackle the coloured pencil...it is my nemisis. Im glad you shared!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Loves: Grandmother Moon, Pretty, Dragons, Water, Weather, Plants, My Handsome Cat, Life, and Sugar Skulls....ok and Star Trek TNG Smiley~
Spanghew
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009 11:14:29 AM »

These are just fantastic.

I know it's been said before, but the final painting and the broken glass are just fantastic (clever way of linking to the "thief" theme, btw)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009 11:47:00 AM »

Well, I hope you're glad you ended up doing art, because you're very good! All the studies are great, and I'm really impressed with the way the final painting turned out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lucyravenscar.etsy.com
lucyravenscar.blogspot.com
lucyravenscar.tumblr.com
Alex1042
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009 01:59:29 PM »

The broken glass looks like a photograph, that's amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." -Douglas Adams
teddybearbones

I made you a bag lunch C:

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009 02:49:31 PM »

Amazing use of colour and paint. I really like this piece. Watch your silhouettes though. The candlestick and pot mush together a bit, and the shiny bag in the foreground is in need  of either smoothing out or toning down. I find it very distracting. But really I think your painting it's very strong.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

|art| |etsy| |wists| |blog|
krandui

I can be a complicated communicator...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009 03:24:49 PM »

They're all great! Something about that last one really grabs my attention though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GreenDuck
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009 01:00:07 PM »

Thanks for the kind comments.

Amazing use of colour and paint. I really like this piece. Watch your silhouettes though. The candlestick and pot mush together a bit, and the shiny bag in the foreground is in need  of either smoothing out or toning down. I find it very distracting. But really I think your painting it's very strong.
Yeah, I've never been good at outlines, that's something to work on. And maybe should have thought about how people will look at the piece as a whole rather than just going 'ooo wrinkled cloth must put in lots of details' with the bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have lots of white pillow feathers to get rid of. PM me if you are in Britain and would like some!
teddybearbones

I made you a bag lunch C:

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009 07:37:54 PM »

Yeah, I've never been good at outlines, that's something to work on. And maybe should have thought about how people will look at the piece as a whole rather than just going 'ooo wrinkled cloth must put in lots of details' with the bag.

Outlines wouldn't help, it's the actual shape those objects create as a whole. Because they're very similar in colour they merge into one another looking like a different and strange new object which is hard to recognize at first. It's a factor to consider for making your compositions stronger. You do a check to make sure things "read", like with the cup>candlestick>hair. Nudging the candlestick to the left and toning down the hair would make those things more readily understandable. Similarily watch for edges of shapes which merge together (like the teapot and the boy's arm). If the teapot was left a little or right a little both those things would come across much clearer.  In this case it would work better to move the teapot right a little since that gets its edges away from both the boy's arm and the bag. Like I said before, your work is already very strong, and this is a suggestion to help you make it even stronger. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

|art| |etsy| |wists| |blog|
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Map Paper Pinecones
Ode To Coffee
Meal Prep Monday: Chicken Pot Pie

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...