A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: The December Craft Challenge has been announced. Read all of the details here and get to crafting!
Total Members: 314,949
Currently Running With Scissors:
292 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone want to knit me up some wears?  (Read 1183 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 23, 2005 04:37:46 PM »

I was on the danskin site about to order a ballet top and drop $30 for something that isn't exactly what I want. Anyone want to knit me a boob holder or shrug? If so PM me and let me know how much it would cost. I would rather support a fellow craftster than Danskin anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005 10:29:46 PM »

The cost of yarn alone might very well add up to 30 before you even get to labor Smiley, depending on the type of yarn you want, of course.  Might want to tell people a bit more about the style you want (lace, cables, etc) so they have an idea of the complexity involved.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
PinkMafia

Recovering swap addict

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005 02:12:52 PM »

I want something with cotton yarn, not too expensive. I've seen pictures for the boob holder and shrug on this site but  I want short sleeves for both.  I don't think it should take too long considering the short sleeves but am not sure because I haven't gotten much further than the knit and purl stiches and am not a knitter (yet).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

socknitter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005 04:49:15 PM »

Unless you want to knit yourself, $30 is a bargain.

Knitting is not something people do just to save money and very few knitters will knit for cheap.

For example, Glampyre's mini sweater: http://glampyreknits.tripod.com/glampyrephotos/id62.html calls for 400 yards of yarn. Saucy worsted is an inexpensive cotton suitable for wearables http://www.herrschners.com/products/sku-710005__id-1049__tab-.html  which will cost you $14.75.  You'll also need some "finer gauge yarn" for the edging. Saucy's sport weight is $2.75 a ball. Plus you'll have to pay $5 shipping. That's over $22 for the yarn alone.

So, if you knit it yourself, you can save $7 and some change.  However, you will never find a knitter (unless your old Gran will do it) who will knit a sweater for less than $7 labor.

If you can knit and purl, why not give it a try yourself! You said it won't take too long, and you've already done knit and purl.  What a great way to get started, by working on a project you really want.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlniteowl

I'm a tasty knitter!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005 06:37:12 PM »

Yeah, lemme pipe up here - hawaiilove, i would love to do something like this for you, i like playing with yarn and knitting for others (i never seem to finish things for myself) but even if we worked out some kind of barter/swap/trade, knitting is SOOOOO time-consuming, in terms of "getting paid for labor" and even if you're a fast knitter, it doesn't usually compute out to being "worth" it.  granted, some of us do try and dabble in the "knitting for profit" but personally, it's not viable (speaking for myself) to do projects larger than small accessories....sad but true!   socknitter broke it down quite well.  i would say that if you bought the yarn and paid someone $30 that might be closer.......

gosh, i hate to sound like a total killjoy.  i love crafting!!!!  i would say, try it out yourself, it's really satisfying to make your own clothes and doo-dads.  if someone you know has knitting skills, you could teach them something crafty or trade like that for "lessons" - i firmly believe in the barter ethic!

xo,
girlniteowl
THIS ROCKS   Logged
patriautism
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005 01:12:54 PM »

I agree about the cost thing. It takes me about a day to knit a scarf (between classes, work, etc). I've cut back from $5/50g balls to some of the more inexpensive bulk stuff that's still pretty nice, but I still wouldn't sell one for less than $20. Actually, whenever I get bored with a project now, I knit up a quick scarf, put it in a little bag for storage, and by fall I'll have a whole bunch of overpriced (?) scarves to sell at festivals. It worked for a friend last year and she was hawking them for $30. I know I can't make a living this way, but I bet I'll pick up some extra Christmas money!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkMafia

Recovering swap addict

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005 01:23:10 PM »

Thanks to everyone who responded. I actually am swapping my sewing skills for knitting skills and hopefully we'll both end up happy. I do plan on learning (which I started) but just moved across the ocean from one island to another and am moving AGAIN in a month to a bigger house. When I'm not too busy agian I will start up my classes again. Until then, let the swapping begin Grin

I love Craftster!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2018: Rhumba Earrings
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2018: Key Wristlet and Dog Leash
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2018:

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...