A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
150 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fairytale Skirt ((very gibbous inspired!)  (Read 10791 times)
Tags for this thread: gibbous  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Addie Marie
« on: March 04, 2009 08:54:26 PM »

I know, I'm posting this all over the place but I'm so excited that I hardly care. Smiley

I have been lusting after Gibbous skirts for... oh, about a year now. Even now, I check their website about every week because it's like a present every time she lists a new item.

So, after a year, I finally made my own skirt. I worked on this throughout all of February, and believe me, it took a good while! I started out with a pile of blue fabric, and a spool of blue thread. I made a basic waistband, and then just started pinning long scraps to it, using my free-motion quilting foot to piece everything together. It was extremely time-consuming because of the whole pinning part, and all the stitchery that attatches the sides of the pieces together (because, no, it's not just strips hanging off. I'm more modest than that. They had to be seamed at the sides, every piece.), and I'd estimate about 25-30 hours went into it. I had to do it in smaller doses, because, idk, I had this big problem focusing on it, and my attention span rivaled that of a flea.

I wish I were rich enough to buy a skirt & support gibbous, but I'm not. And I probably never will be. Like any good DIYer, I just had to figure it out for myself.

Okay, after all that chatter, I give you.... the epic fairytale skirt!!

(^^Flamingo pose!!)

I wore it into town the other day with my lovely cobalt blue peacoat, and I had an almost surreal experience-- I would walk into someplace, and people would really notice me! I've never had that, where people stop and look at you, really look--and I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me feel warm & fuzzy & delightful. I think my high heels helped my confidence a bit, too--crazy how they do that, isn't it? Smiley

Thank you so much for looking!!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009 07:42:22 PM by Addie Marie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mamacattleya
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009 09:17:30 PM »

This rocks!! Of course people noticed! (Although I'm sure they did before too Smiley )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lucibel
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009 11:13:47 PM »

I absolutely love it. The little key fits in there perfectly with all the blue. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Molly.Connelly
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009 11:55:28 PM »

I absolutely LOVE it!! I must make one!
any way you could give a little more detail on how you made it? what kind of waist did you make? how'd you sew the pieces? etc.
thanks Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mouseatethekitty
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009 06:32:43 AM »

I love gibbous! And your skirt is spectacular!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

heranje
excessively happy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009 10:19:13 AM »

That's such a great skirt!

I'm saving up little scraps for the day I can make my own scrappy skirt (or even dress) Cheesy I really love the whole ragdoll style, and I too covet gibbous clothing. xP
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I apologize if the preceding post contained too many smilies.

- - - -

In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is not king, he is spectator.

My wist! n_n
Addie Marie
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009 10:36:03 AM »

Thank you so much, everyone!! Your comments are all so lovely. Smiley

I absolutely LOVE it!! I must make one!
any way you could give a little more detail on how you made it? what kind of waist did you make? how'd you sew the pieces? etc.
thanks Cheesy

Thank you, darling!! I think everyone should have a skirt like this, they're so happy-making. ^^

The waistband was really lame, haha, I just took a long, long strip (long enough to go around my waist & about 8" wide), folded it in half, pinned it on me, and then pinned five or six darts all the way around to make it fit nicely. I did it this way because I wasn't even sure at that point if I was going to get very far on the skirt, it didn't matter if it was messy, and... well, I was lazy, mostly. Wink

The rest of it was spontaniously and hap-hazardly put on. I would pin those long scraps on in maybe a ten inch section, and then with my free-motion quilting foot I'd just go crazy. I'd add pleats and tucks, gathers and wrinkles, and sew all the way down the sides to connect the strips. It's very clear on the skirt where I would get tired, because there's a lot less stitching there, haha. But then I'd go back, adding more strips over and under the other ones, just going on whatever I felt like at that moment.

Good luck on yours! And thank you again, guys, you're all so wonderful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

travelgirl
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009 11:49:51 AM »

oh wow  Cool this is probably one of the coolest skirts i've seen in a while. Now i finally have a way to use up all the scraps i've saved.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Arcana
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009 01:14:03 PM »

Ok, so I had to go look up Gibbous after reading your post, and all I can say is that I understand why you've been lusting after them!  I adore that kind of thing, and I think you did a very nice job creating your own Gibbous inspired skirt, and I think I may have to take inspiration from you and create my own as well (because let's face it, we don't all have $150 to spend on a skirt!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elphelba
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009 02:55:35 PM »

Nice job, the skirt came out fantastic and it looks really good on you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop being so damned positive. Staring at the sun only blinds some one. By only looking at the positive, you miss an entire beautiful world of shadows and colors. Don't be overly negative, be realistic. The world is so much more complex and beautiful that way.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...