A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
259 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: recycled box/comic book clutch  (Read 14533 times)
Tags for this thread: comic_book  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
SilverBamboo

"Don't dream it... Be It."

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2004 10:12:04 PM »

I found this in one of my bins of half-completed projects and finished it last night:

The box is reinforced cardboard and originally packaged some kind of spa kit. I decoupaged comic book pages onto the exterior...

...and I used found objects to create a handle and closure. The handle is an old drawer pull; the closure is made from eye-screws (with washers and gear thingies, and the screw-points on the interior are secured with wine cork cut to about 1/3 normal length), beads, wire, and a sliver of wine cork that threads into the bottom eye-screw.

I was able to make the entire thing from start to finish with things I had around the house. (Just happened to have a bit of black grosgrain ribbon to finish the top edge.)

Thought it might make a good digi-cam accessory tote or something... it's unlined; I was thinking about fake fur, maybe. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Make something beautiful.
Phunkorama
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004 11:00:33 PM »

Oh man that's really cute. Good work, pal!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abricot
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004 11:38:43 PM »

Is that Veronica I see?!  Shocked

Cute bag  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craaaft! Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. <--- sing to the tune of the "Spam" song....
SilverBamboo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004 02:49:21 AM »

Is that Veronica I see?!  Shocked

Yes, and it's an awful read. Goes against every feminist (and feminine) bone in my body(!) But it's Veronica "in Paris, and it's got scenery...  Wink I cut it down to the geographically educational essentials, because I couldn't figure out how to juxtapose the piece to exploit its narrow views.

When I first posted this, I tried so hard to explain the purse, I forgot to explain the matching wallet thingie below it in the first pic. It was made from a single comic page, laminated with packing tape (see: numerous craftster threads), folded in 3rds and taped on the sides. I used velcro dots for a closure and wired the bow in place. It sagged, so I had to glue it down, which is why there are clothespins on it...

Phew, I'm rambling. (craftster is so damn fun, it's hard to leave!)
...and Phunkorama: thanks, I love your book bag!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

begin again

my original tape measure purse, still going strong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004 10:57:07 AM »

I love the fake fur idea- (another moral ambiguity isn't it?) but yes, it would totally fit- and I think the best way to drag Veronica out of her pre-feminist funk is to display her with pride by your feminine/feminist self!

xxBA
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abricot
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004 11:09:25 AM »

Just mentioning this cuz it went *poof* into my head... It'd be cool the next time you, myself, or anyone makes something out of comics: before you "laminate" you could replace what is said in the bubbles with your own personal slogans, re-write the story, etc....

In fact, I have a bunch of vintage Archie comics laying around somewhere and now I think it'd be fun to make something with it, but give Betty/Veronica a feminist slant....  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craaaft! Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. <--- sing to the tune of the "Spam" song....
SilverBamboo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004 10:01:58 PM »

Just mentioning this cuz it went *poof* into my head... It'd be cool the next time you, myself, or anyone makes something out of comics: before you "laminate" you could replace what is said in the bubbles with your own personal slogans, re-write the story, etc....

In fact, I have a bunch of vintage Archie comics laying around somewhere and now I think it'd be fun to make something with it, but give Betty/Veronica a feminist slant....  Grin

That is a fantastic idea, rox! I still have an assortment of other comics, including Archies... you rock!
begin again, thanks. Get this: I took it to the store where I'm taking a jewelry class today and the owner (major feminist, for the record) asked if she could sell it.
I'm so excited. I still want to line it, though. (I'm such a dork!)
 Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Toast.
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2004 11:39:08 PM »

wow that is a STUNNING case  Shocked
how big is it? would it fit records?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

begin again

my original tape measure purse, still going strong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2004 06:53:01 AM »

Get this: I took it to the store where I'm taking a jewelry class today and the owner (major feminist, for the record) asked if she could sell it.
I'm so excited. I still want to line it, though. (I'm such a dork!)

That's great news Silverbamboo- got yourself a little business.  By all means, line it, if that's how you envision it...you can always cut corners later on when you're making millions.... Roll Eyes

Rox: v. cool idea of rewriting comics. little more work, but a little more 'right' on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
slick
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2004 08:01:27 AM »

Excellent job, silverBamboo, my fellow feminist friend!  It looks great, and very cool that you used all stuff you had around the house!  And congrats on selling it!  You could do a whole line of them for the store!!!!  I love it!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...