A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
170 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What's the average startup cost for soapmaking?  (Read 1743 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
hayatiggs

We're all mad here...

View Profile WWW
« on: February 28, 2009 07:59:16 AM »

CP or HP? I've always been interested in it, but lately my mother in law keeps bringing it up because she has goats. She keeps saying, "You and I should start making soap and lotion with the goats milk."

I love the idea, but neither she nor I have an idea of cost. Also, I haven't really started researching it yet, but is there a site maybe that shows everything you need to start with? Thanks in advance Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*Harley*
My Pinterest
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009 07:45:56 PM »

heres an awesome starting up thread that would be a great resource for you..

https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=202977.0

as for the price of startup..it would depend on where you got your supplies..for me I spent more on the scale than really anything else..

good luck...and I am so jealous that you have goats..I'd love some but I dont think DC is too fond of goats.. Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
hayatiggs

We're all mad here...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009 11:02:25 AM »

Thanks so much for the link Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*Harley*
My Pinterest
Nymeria
Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009 12:41:09 PM »

This would be my hypothetical cost analysis. Keep in mind ALL of these things are subject to where you live and what you have on hand (obviously it'll be cheaper if you have some of these things in your kitchen and don't mind parting with them). Also your feelings on shopping at Wal-Mart. (this also assumes you will ONLY be using said materials for soaping and nothing else!!)

Soap Pot:  $20
Plastic mixing bowls:  $15
Plastic spatulas:  $2.99 (set of 4... I love you WalMart)
Stick blender:  $15
Digital Scale*:  $30
Coconut Oil:  $5.99 for 2 lbs. at Walmart (LouAna brand)
Vegetable Shortening: $4.99 (cheaper if you buy your local store brand)
Olive Oil (not EVOO): $6.99
Lye: $10-25 (depending on if you have to order online or if you have a local chemical supply company)
Fragrance oil: $6 (depending on shipping)
Colorant: $6 (again, shipping)

Total:  $112-137 (approximately)

Now this list does not include a lot of things. It does not include a mold because a great first mold is a shoe box lined with freezer paper. The prices also assume you buy as much as you can at the grocery store, save the few specialty items you may have to order online. As far as lye goes, whip out your yellow pages and see if there is a chemical supply company near you. Call to see if they have sodium hydroxide. There is a place here called Rocky Mountain Reagents that supplies schools, industrial and other "scientific" places. They also like their local soapmakers. Smiley

But that would be what I would tell people to expect -- at the very least -- to spend. Again, if you have a battered pot (I use  plastic paint mixing pails that cost about $3-5 at the hardware store and are AWESOME!) at home you don't mind sacrificing, that'll be cheaper. Maybe you have a stick blender you never use and can sacrifice. Maybe you already have a digital scale laying around.

*The digital scale is your BIG ticket item and yes it is necessary. I used a non-digital scale initially and what a disaster that was. But this is an item that does not have to be reserved for soapmaking, so I look at it as a home investment. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009 12:57:04 PM »

Also try getting as much as you can from thrift stores and Dollar Tree in the ways of pots, plastic bowls and mixing spoons, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love to cook, have an overflowing pantry, or want to save a little money on your grocery bill?
Join the Pantry Challenge Cookalong!

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
hayatiggs

We're all mad here...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009 08:04:05 PM »

Thanks so much. That total isn't as high as I thought it would be, especially since I do have a couple of things already (like the digital scale) and because I DO love Wal-Mart! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*Harley*
My Pinterest
Devierue
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009 02:47:53 PM »

Also try getting as much as you can from thrift stores and Dollar Tree in the ways of pots, plastic bowls and mixing spoons, etc.

I second this.

If you end up...oh, I dunno, getting distracted and leaving it on the burner to suffer a melty death (don't judge me! *hides*), it was a DOLLAR and easily replaced.

I agree with the digital scale. With melt and pour, I use the trusty measuring cup/eyeball method, which (probably by sheer luck) has worked out fine. Cold Process, though, requires a bit more precision (though I haven't ventured into it myself, trust the fine Craftster people!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...