A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,841
Currently Running With Scissors:
285 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first bag  (Read 1162 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
christinem
« on: February 22, 2009 02:37:31 PM »

It's amazing that my love for bags and sewing have not met before now.  My first bag came out a bit floppy.  I'll try again, and definitely use some kind of stabilizer.  I needed a small tote to carry crafts and a few items, and purses just weren't getting it.  And totes were too big.

Advise on how to make the bag stiffer without being impossible to turn through the lining would be much appreciated.   Smiley

Inside out.

With a craft tossed in.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2009 04:23:49 PM by christinem - Reason: added photos » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MelSews67
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009 05:53:21 PM »

Thats a great bag!  Try using a heavier fusable interfacing to give it some stability, also you can cut a piece of cardboard or a piece plastic board to fit the bottom and make a little pouch out of your interior fabric to put it in.  I did this for a diaper bag I made and it helped a lot... really kept the bag from flopping over, etc.  Also, easy to remove the bottom piece for washing, etc. :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
diCremona
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009 07:55:52 PM »

Now you're hooked! Bags, bags, bags - and you did a great job on this one! The recommendation to use a bag-bottom insert is a good one, and how I make even the floppiest bags more stable. It also means that the bottom of the bag doesn't droop out of shape when you put something heavy in it. I use plastic canvas for lightness and support.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beeshebags
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009 03:06:54 AM »

~Wow~

I'm in awe...you've obviously already had a head start with sewing right?  No one could possibly do such a great job on their very first bag....well I certainly didn't, but then I couldn't sew either!  (Just as a side note, I still probably couldn't do such a good job as you did)  Very well done.

As for stabiliser, you can use Pellon, or just heavy interfacing....and the bag base is another good tip to use too.

Hugs and keep up the good work....yep, it's addictive, soon you'll have bags, wallets, & cozies coming out your wazoo!

Naomi
Adelaide, Sth Australia
THIS ROCKS   Logged
christinem
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009 05:53:24 AM »

Thanks MelSews67, diCremona and Naomi, for your advise.  I think I will be cutting a cereal box to size since that is what I have on hand.  And I am going to be on the hunt for plastic canvas and heavyweight interfacing next time I'm in the fabric store.

And yes, Naomi, I have been sewing for many years.  Thanks for the compliment.  I have no idea why I never tried to make a bag before now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beeshebags
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009 12:39:34 PM »

I think there's a Bagmakers Anonymous somewhere if you ever feel the need...aaack what am I saying....I would already be a lifetime member if there was!

Hi, I'm Naomi and I'm addicted to sewing bags!

Hugs
Naomi
Adelaide, Sth Australia
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...