A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,783
Currently Running With Scissors:
184 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Problem window  (Read 572 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
pixelpup2001
« on: February 21, 2009 03:15:01 PM »

I have a design problem with the room and don't know what is the right way to fix it. I live in an 80 year old or more house. From the outside the windows look normal but in the inside their not. On one side of the room the window normal. It has space on both sides but the other side has a corner wall butt up beside it. On the other side of that corner wall is a small corridor closet. We can't take the closet out to give the window the space it needs.  We already have wooden curtain rods with holders and finials. I was thinking since the window goes into the other wall so should the curtain rod but if there is a right way please let me know. (just ignore the light, it's is just temporary. The walls are plaster and I hate plastering our walls.)

Any ideas, I've searched the web and haven't found an answer. Anyone.....?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mandanak

I maded puppets!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009 06:44:00 PM »

Hmm. I am confused by your post! Shocked)
I'm not sure what you're trying to get the window to be like instead of how it is right now: Are you trying to get around the fact that it looks weird, or that it's blocking the closet? I'm not sure what you're asking about the curtain rod either; can you clarify?

I don't think that moving the window is a great idea, if that's what you're asking. It is in a totally weird place; it seems like the closet was added after the house was built, right? If it's the closet door that's in the way, the first thing that popped into my mind was taking off the closet door altogether, and either curtaining over the opening, or just leaving it an open doorway. (Or, you could do one of those Japanese/Chinese half-curtains that just blocks off the top half of the opening and leaves the bottom of the doorway exposed.) Either way, a more open doorway might make the window feel like it has more space.

Oh waaaaaaait, I think I figured it out. Shocked) I was thinking closet rod! confused myself! (removing the closet door still applies, though. Shocked)

I'm not sure that curtain rods with long poky-out finials would be your best choice in the space, honestly -- if one has normal spacing on each side and the other is weirdly truncated or only half-visible, it would help *point out* how the room is unbalanced. I think your best option might be to minimize the symmetrical decoration of the room, since it will only point out how it's really NOT symmetrical at all.

You might consider either roman shades (they don't need to stick out past the window frame at all), or put a curtain rod with finials over *one* window which has space, and a roman shade or some kind of other smaller window covering on the other, that matches or coordinates with the other side of the room but looks purposefully different in shape, size, or pattern -- so you're saying, Yep, this window's weird but I'm letting it be itself. Shocked)

(oooooooo, you could even take off the closet door and put the curtain rod with finials over the CLOSET, so you can curtain off the closet, and THEN put some kind of smaller shade-type over the window. I'm a genius! Shocked)

I hope that helps -- good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To craft and to solve.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Potholders!
Tute Tuesday: Clothespin Frame
Say "Cheese(burger)!"

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...