A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
224 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: When 2 Nerds Marry... (invitation advice/etc)  (Read 8661 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
plummy
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009 11:02:40 PM »

haha, i also am a science geek, and i have uber enjoyed this post.  i recently got married, and while my husband isn't science geeky like me, we did manage to incorporate 'us' into the wedding.  i think the most important part about a wedding is to remember that it is ultimately your party, to celebrate your marriage, and you should do it how you want to, not how you think it should be done.  some individual touches we did...we had a cupcake cake instead of a tiered cake (i enjoy cupcakes so much!), we made our own playlist and played it on an ipod instead of having generic wedding music that a dj selected, we made it a potluck instead of doing catering, we had it in the woods instead of inside because we're both super outdoorsy people, and we did the ceremony ourselves instead of having an officiary (and did the legal stuff completely separate).  so have fun, make it what you want, and remember--it doesn't have to be the same as everyone elses, cause in the end it's a party to celebrate your love however you want to do it.  Smiley  congratulations!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking to trade for kawaii Japanese fabric or cabochons!  PM me if you're interested!

Visit my etsy shop!   Cute girly clothing and accessories!  bydanalynn.etsy.com
LinzSerena
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009 01:19:05 PM »

Just a quick update - we ordered his ring.. it's, get this, a meteorite ring inlaid into a white gold setting. We used a meteorite that landed in Sweden in 1906 (his family is Swedish). We're working on mine, I'll let you know what that will be once we have it designed.
We are getting our test tubes at some point soon and will measure out the m&ms that fit into the tubes. We are going to get those personalized m&ms ... not sure what to put on them yet.. We would have ordered plain m&ms in our colors, but my aunts are insisting on buying them if they are personalized.. Smiley
I have rec'd some amazing advice from this thread. I have no clue what molecule to use - some many neat ideas!!

We'll be working on the invitation during my spring break.

Still not sure what to do about that monogram thingy... I might take a closer pic later to show you how it currently looks...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Lindsey
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
"Be open to learning new lessons even if they contradict the lessons you learned yesterday."
- Ellen Degeneres
---------------------------------------------
"All great achievements require time" ~Maya Angelou
LinzSerena
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009 06:39:18 AM »

Spring break is coming up & hopefully we'll get most of our stuff done during that 5 days. We are heading up to CT for 3 of those days to meet with the planner at the venue, have our engagement photos done, & meet with officiants. Hopefully we'll put together a "model" invitation that i can post.
We might start working on favors soon - we are definitely doing the personalized M&Ms. Any suggestions for sayings on there? I think we'll have 3 or 4 colors (depending on how the blues look)
We will of course have some with our names & the wedding date, but I was wondering if anyone can think of something clever to put on there (without being painfully corny) Smiley
Maybe C6H12O6...  although only a small handful of people will get that... so who knows Smiley
Can't wait to hear your suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Lindsey
"Be open to learning new lessons even if they contradict the lessons you learned yesterday."
- Ellen Degeneres
FadingHippie
and God sees a flower...

Ruffles and Pearls... and Anthropologie Delights

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009 10:48:21 AM »

This thread and the inclusion of Ellen Degeneres and Maya Angelou in your sig make me smile...

C6H12O6 is sugar... glucose... I hope most people know that...

Good luck... and post pictures after... please?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Kat
Knitonepurlbacon
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009 11:44:43 AM »

This is such an orriginal idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LinzSerena
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009 05:57:21 AM »

My semester is ALMOST OVER and I can finally start playing with wedding stuff. My bridesmaids are all in order and eager to start helping - problem is: I haven't figured out what all needs to be done (craft wise).
Is there any generic craft-to-do list that someone can fwd me?

And my fiance's wedding band arrived!! We had a guy on Etsy make it (not sure if I can share his name on here - but please ask me for his name. He was an absolute pleasure to work with).
This was such an awesome ring (and fits our theme).. it's a band of meteorite inlaid into white gold. The meteorite is the Muonionalusta meteorite that landed in Sweden (his family's heritage) back in 1908. The meteorite has these natural polyhexagonal etchings in it that add so much character.
I'm adding two pics - one shows the ring well, but don't show how the etchings glisten in the light. The second pic makes it look coppery (it's not), but it shows how the ring shines.
I love how it turned, as does my fiance. He couldn't stop looking at it when we received it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Lindsey
- Ellen Degeneres
naravyn
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009 07:50:20 AM »

That ring is absolutely gorgeous. I love the nerdy ideas. Altho my fiance and myself are not nerdy in the sense of biology and chemistry, we are in our own way. We are incorporating an emblem from our favorite tv show. We both love Smallville. So when crafting my invite stationary, I found the House of El emblem and edited it to just the outline, and it ended up looking like a diamond. So now I can incorporate it everywhere and most will just think its a diamond shape! And I'm thinking about finding some fake crystals to use for center pieces. Or if I can get them cheaply enough, maybe some quartz from the local New Age shop. Make it look like Krypton stones. Which is what my fiance called the quartz crystals the first time he saw them at the store.  Cheesy

Good luck on your designing, and if I think  of anything, I'll let you know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009 05:08:03 PM »

problem is: I haven't figured out what all needs to be done (craft wise).

Beautiful ring!

What NEEDS to be done is hardly anything. You have the fiance and the ring. Just do what you feel like, and don't stress over it.

Mazeltov!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
Alexa_Angel
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2009 08:21:32 PM »

Such wonderful ideas! I love reading all these creative ideas! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived, and lived well. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
LinzSerena
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009 05:01:29 PM »

Semester is finally over (for 2 weeks - then it's back to school), so I have some time to mull over wedding stuff. I'm working on the invitations and favor stuff now. I'm considering putting a science twist on the wording of the invitation, but i'm not quite clever enough for that sort of thing. I found one appropriate geeky quote: Love is like pi - natural, irrational, and very important.  Lisa Hoffman
Any other ideas?

Oh, and you needn't suggest a double helix as flourish on the invitation.. consider that done! Wink
Also putting a molecule there and my "Johnson" molecule on the favors Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Lindsey
- Ellen Degeneres
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...