A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
206 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dyeing to swap! A swap for dyers! sign up 2-16 to 2-26. Send out 3-27  (Read 7468 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Cheebz

I make clothes for imaginary people

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009 02:47:01 PM »

The 27th would work much better, thanks. The show I am designing is called Amadeus. There's lots of mask work so I'm sure something will end up on craftster eventually.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
superhooker
like a crack whore, except with yarn

perfectly pleasing...in a dirty sort of way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009 10:32:39 AM »

Like the movie Ammadeus?  If so, that rocks!

I've seen some of the masks you make, I'm sure the show is awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step off, I'm doin the hump.
Cheebz

I make clothes for imaginary people

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009 11:29:19 AM »

Like the movie Ammadeus?  If so, that rocks!

I've seen some of the masks you make, I'm sure the show is awesome!

That's the one. Although the movie sexed things up a bit this one should still be a lot of fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009 11:33:45 AM »

I'm addicted to dyeing, but not very experienced, and I am not certain what a medium dyeing project would be. Or a small.
I dye with plants I collect myself, and I'd count a 100g skein of plant-dyed wool as a medium.
I've been experimenting with cold dyes but I don't know how to count that. It took a lot of time and I liked it, but I would hesitate to count the hours, most of the time the wool was just soaking peacefully without me...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
superhooker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009 05:09:55 PM »

I was thinking that a 100gm skein of dyed yarn would be a medium, regardless of what dyeing process was used.  Some dyeing takes a long time, and some is quick, but usually it is just about the same amount of work + a lot of waiting.

With fabric, I would think that a medium item might be a yard of nicer fabric dyed with one style of dyeing (I'm not talking about intensive batiking here) or 2-3 yards of cheapo fabric like muslin or something.

Although everyone will totally use their judgement.  Weigh the cost issue in there (obviously, if you are dyeing an expensive silk, it is different than dyeing muslin, you know?).

I'd say that everyone should totally discuss what they may be sending with their partners, and make sure that both partners are happy.
If people are both sending 2 100gms of wool yarn, I can't see how anyone would be sad!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lizzle
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009 05:09:48 PM »

I'm going to PM my info now.  This sounds like a lot of fun...hope people will be OK with me dyeing yarn.  I'm not good at dyeing fabric and not set up with the supplies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009 04:13:26 AM »

Yarns sound perfect to me at least... I will have to think a bit about this swap. I will start to dye anyway as soon as the frost stops freezing the buckets on the balcony Smiley
I am very tempted, but I am, apart from natural dyes, a beginner... I would love to dye some textiles, and selfstriping yarn, but I don't know if someone wants a beginner as a partner. Maybe if I send more items?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
superhooker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009 06:18:56 AM »

I'm totally not a professional dyer either, Ruby Copperhead.  I just dabble!!!  I like to make yarn and fabrics that look pretty.  Half the time stuff comes out right, and half the time I end up with....not what I wanted.  but it is fun!!!  I sorta feel like a badass wearing my face mask and mixing chemicals in my kitchen.  I'll have to have my husband take a picture of what I look like when I'm dyeing, it is really funny!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009 06:24:05 AM »

I'm just a dabbler, too.  Cheesy  I'm too impatient/lazy/time-strapped to do things properly, so I learn only by accident.  Tongue  But sometimes, you get stuff more awesome than what you were going for, anyway.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TAOJ

knitting is life

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009 06:45:45 AM »

I think that all of us would likely be dabblers with little experience. I for one would be up for receiving yarn done with natural dyes as its something I myself haven't done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...