A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,893
Currently Running With Scissors:
312 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Custom Mahjong Set  (Read 27700 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project , game , craftster_best_of_2009  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
leopardstripes

The other one has bells on it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2009 03:05:46 PM »

Beautiful job- your eye for detail, and just plain stick-to-it-tive-ness is impressive. Nice job! Hope your hubby realizes what an amazing artist he's got- if not, remind him!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I can't seem to stay with one guru long enough to get enlightened." -from the Life and Letters of Tofu Roshi
cowspots
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009 12:37:40 PM »

Cheesy
I think you did a FANTASTIC job making this set!  I love Mahjong and play it online all the time.  Keep up the crafty work girlfriend!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
andwedanced
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009 02:31:56 PM »

This is such a creative idea! It's like each tile was made with love!

How long did it take you to finish it over all? It seems like there was a lengthy process with painting each side and spraying
THIS ROCKS   Logged
toque
pinktoque

Creator of GEEKSOAP.net

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2009 05:04:13 AM »

Thanks everyone!

We play the hong kong version (I think, LOL!) The rules were explained to us by our friends once and we've played that way -- we use the flower tiles, no jokers, prevailing wind.

For me the project took around a week all total -- around 6 hours to do all of the detail painting on the one side (broken up over 2 nights) and it took one night just to sort through the 350 blank tiles I had and pick out 145 that I wanted to use. They came strung together as a "beaded" place mat so I had to take them apart and such. The fourth night I checked for any touch ups, then it took around an hour or two to paint the backsides of the tiles. The spraying was the hardest part because I wanted to let them sit overnight to dry, even though the side of the can said it would be "fully dry in 2 hours." (that was not my experience!)

It took one night to do the fronts and then one night to do the backs -- but then there were a few where they had too much spray so they stuck to the cardboard I was using to spread them out on my basement floor -- which meant the next day when I tried to pick them up they stuck and some of the paint from the front side came off -- so that was another night for a handful of tiles because I had to redo the painting/touch up the front sides, spray the front and let it sit overnight THEN spray the backside again, trying to be really careful. But honestly this project could be done in as little as 3 days if you had a good 8 hours to spend separating tiles and painting them all in one sitting, then painting the backsides the next day and spraying at night, then spraying the other side the next night.

My explanation was too lengthy. LOL.

<3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I design geeky, all natural handmade soap known as GEEKSOAP! http://www.geeksoap.net
Portfolio: http://www.thepinktoque.com/
BentoBox
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2009 09:56:56 AM »

What detail!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Quills
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2009 04:04:42 PM »

I am truly inspired. As an online Mahjongg player (obsessively) I have searched and searched for a tile set that I can actually afford. Haven't had any luck yet, and it never occurred to me to make my own. Guess what my next project is?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
toque
pinktoque

Creator of GEEKSOAP.net

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2009 09:17:18 AM »

Awwe thanks everyone! It seems my Mahjong set has been chosen as one of the Feb 19 feature projects! I am so honoured. Thanks, jungrrl and everyone <3

And I can't wait to see your next project, Quills! Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I design geeky, all natural handmade soap known as GEEKSOAP! http://www.geeksoap.net
PNCTink
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2009 03:44:10 PM »

That's awesome!!! I love the game and play often, and I think you did a great job on the characters!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nicole

Former lurker coming out of hiding and just finished my first swap!
v3nu5
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2009 04:21:10 AM »

This is great! I love thoughtful and unique gifts like this, you are talented.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

toque
pinktoque

Creator of GEEKSOAP.net

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2009 07:52:43 PM »

This is great! I love thoughtful and unique gifts like this, you are talented.

Thanks! I just had to reply to you to say, "FOR THE HORDE!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Map Paper Pinecones
Ode To Coffee
Meal Prep Monday: Chicken Pot Pie

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...