A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,879
Currently Running With Scissors:
260 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need opinion on my newest painting  (Read 2568 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Solarwen
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009 12:35:24 AM »

I quite like this, great job for being a new painter! And it looks like acrylics which personally I find super difficult to use! There is "something" as you say about it but that probably depends from person to person. As someone mentioned before a bit more contrast would be nice as well as some more texture. As it is the feather seems to be all the same "density"--- does that make sense? The great thing about acrylics or oils even is that you can use the medium itself to create some texture, you don't have to super blend everything until it's even and smooth--- especially around the "eye" of the feather, pick out some of the natural lines that the feather would have in a lighter colour and give it a bit of shading around the shape so that it isn't so flat. Anyway... that's my two cents lol I work with watercolours myself so I don't know too much about this medium but I know it looks really nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teddybearbones

I made you a bag lunch C:

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009 11:52:13 AM »

I rather enjoy your use of colour.

I might have a helpful answer on your painting. I think what's bothering you is your line quality. All of the feathery tendrils are very solid and heavy which doesn't really give the feeling of a feather. They're  a bit bunched together too.  With something like this you needn't be afraid of leaving negative space especially when working with something so airy as a peacock feather. You could also go in with a finer brush and add a little more detail to the "eye" of the feather.

By doing a search for "peacock feather" I found this image that has almost the same composition as your painting. As you can see the feather's tendrils are very fine leaving a lot of negative space.

I hope that helps some ;]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

|art| |etsy| |wists| |blog|
dustbunnyofdoom
Impatient Perfectionist

Impatient Perfectionist

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009 10:47:11 PM »

I think it's pretty darn cool, I'm in love with peacocks or anything peacock related for that matter.
I would maybe try to put a little more green (iridescent emerald or similar) into it to really make it pop out of the canvas, you could try an extra layer on top of the dark colours. 
Kudos for the nice work Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music
bonesaw
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009 01:02:47 AM »

I know a good paint you can try on this painting!  Cool

I use Golden paint and tested out Interference (Fine) paint, it is so cool!!
it will give you the holographic look just like the real feathers have when they bling in the sun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Illustrations, paintings and other knick knacks.

Party time all the time.

christianpena.etsy.com
Coco:)
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009 10:24:10 PM »

I think it is fine how it is Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittingwithrain
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009 04:10:00 PM »

If I were  you, I wouldn't touch it. It's darling! Definately the kind of thing I would hang up in my room, you know? How big is that thing? I looks pretty darn big in that picture. Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
morglanc

hey, are you going to throw that away?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009 01:53:52 AM »

sorry it took me so long to respond. i meant along the feather. not in a constant line, but as an accent. but really it is beautiful the way it is
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i love personal swaps. i'm looking to swap my art or paper crafts for some re-usable fabric snack bags, fabric sandwich wraps, fabric paper towels, glass pendants, ephemera, or art books.

http://www.wists.com/morglanc

http://morglanc.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Snow Dyeing
Baby, It's Cold Outside
Meal Prep Monday: Autumn Vegetable Tian

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...