A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,451
Currently Running With Scissors:
170 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Docs Questions  (Read 2201 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

the_naked_doll
« on: February 13, 2009 05:13:20 PM »

Hey all you crafty ladies and gents!

I was wondering- have any of you painted doc boots before? Actually, scratch that, I know you have but I want to know, how are they holding up? How does the paint not peal?

This crafty question is masking my real non-crafty question (okay to delete it if it's not appropriate). I recently came into some adorable doc mary janes (which I'm trying to get rid of, anyone with a size 10 foot!) and they are a touch too big and cut my foot badly. I bled, it was terrible. Obviously these boots were older docs- they were much heavier than any of the docs I've run into lately and they were hard to walk in because of the weight. My question is I've always wanted to buy some Dr Marten boots- regular eight lace green boots. I want to know now that the company is bought (which happened ages ago) and the boots seem more light weight and (to most people flimsy-er) how have your feet been? Are they hard to walk in? Do they cut you or hurt your feet?

The newer docs seem so lightweight, but this old pair were so heavy that I'm a little scared to buy them without opinions.
Any help you can be would be wonderful and it's okay if this is deleted for not being craft related.

-The Naked Doll
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009 02:01:24 PM »

I have a pair of old-type men's size 6 Doc's (steel-toed 8 lace) and all I do is wear heavy socks on top of my cotton socks (they're a half size too big, I need men's 5.5). So you could try that with your current pair. You could also buy insoles, not the cheapo insoles, but something more squishy. I put super-duper awesome 20 dollar insoles in my work boots, and for the whole 2 months I wore them, they were way more comfy than they otherwise would have been. If either method works to make them fit, you'll get strong ankles really fast and wearing lighter shoes will feel wierd Tongue

I had the opportunity to keep a pair of ladies Doc ankle boots, but I decided nay after wearing them only once. They just didn't LOOK as nice. Like... cheap, ya know? They just didn't seem very sturdy. And frankly I was used to the steel toed men's boots Tongue I'm guessing they were the newer type (hmm I wonder why she didn't want them...)

I haven't seen the men's style in person since they made the changes (or I have, but my attention wasn't drawn to them). If you can, go to a store that actually has the same or a similar style to what you want in-stock in your size. Wear them around the store for 20 minutes and see what happens.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lamoo_of_doom
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009 06:47:06 AM »

I have a couple of pairs of the older English made 8ups, and they took quite a bit of wearing in. But once worn in, docs are the comfiest shoes ever.
As for the new ones: I bought a pair a while ago and they gave me shocking blisters for ages. But because the leather isnt as thick as the old docs, they seemed to soften up a lot quicker than the older ones did. I just had to wear them a lot, with really thick socks.

I also accidentally got paint on them (they're now my work boots...) and I can assure you that it most certainly does not come off. At least not in a hurry anyway.
I think spraying them with a coat of varnish would probably also protect some of the paint as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
the_naked_doll
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010 03:58:35 PM »

Thank you guys! I actually came up with a new question. I ended up buying a new pair, and they did seem really cheap so I'm glad I didn't have to pay full docs price for them, but they also aren't typical. They have a pointy toe and look more like victorian costume boots than docs.

So I discovered Polyvore and they list the complete collection of docs. I fell in love with these metalic silver ones but I just can't drop 100$ on shoes?! Since docs are work boots I was thinking that the yellowish suede work boots (construction worker boots) would look the same if only I painted them. I was thinking of using spray paint and a pair of thrifted boots (because I see those construction worker boots all the time at Salv Arm). I've never tried to do this though and am a little intimidated. I was thinking silver spray paint and then sealing with Krylon clear acrylic spray. Any opinions??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tillstar
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010 11:56:16 PM »

Not sure if you're still looking for that answer but I only just came across that thread... I had a pair of the UK made 8-eye ones that I spray painted yellow, and it worked really well. I just used some cheap diy store spray paint. I think after a while it came off a little in the creases though - but you could always re-spray once in a while...

I miss docs made in England. They were sooo much sturdier than what they sell now Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Little Bunny Rabbit Toy
Hanging Around
Meatless Monday: Cinnamon Pecan Scones

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...