A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 321,375
Currently Running With Scissors:
229 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Zippered Handbag - inspired by a Coach purse  (Read 10589 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

anastrophe
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009 11:12:31 AM »

For the tabs, I cut the piece so that the edges angle in. So if you have a rectangle where the short edges are raw, snip the corners towards the center. When you fold it under it will look clean from the sides.  I only turn under the minimum amount needed to stitch it on so that there isn't a lot of fabric hanging over. If you turn under more, maybe you could do a tight zigzag or serge to neaten the edge. Then I just topstitch it on both sides (3 times each plus backstitching at the ends). Make sure your thread matches well because this could look messy.

Ah, mitering. Thanks for the explanation, makes much more sense. I assume you have an industrial machine, if you are sewing through 5 layers plus interfacing there. That's guessing the bag is interfaced with something like Pellon 72 or something? It looks very stiff.

Actually those aren't french seams but that's a good idea...I just made 4 panels and sewed them together. If I had enough fabric I could just do it in 2 sections instead of 4. The Coach bag had this detail and I loved it. It is a nice decorative touch and it accents the construction of the bag. I don't know if it adds any strength though. It seems to me like any point where there is a seam would be weaker than just a solid expanse of fabric, but I'm not sure!

I agree that a seam is weaker than plain fabric, because in an unbroken piece of fabric the stress is being distributed along the weave, whereas in a seam it's concentrated, if that makes sense.

About french seams--I wouldn't think they would work well or be necessary in an upholstery-weight fabric, they're typically used for sheers and other fine fabrics I think. They're also very labor-intensive so I doubt you'd want to use them for something you were going to sell. They do look nice though so I might use them on a bag I was going to keep for myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Avian Flight
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009 11:36:25 AM »

i love your bag!! the fabrics work so well together, thanks for sharing the names of the fabrics. I think it's great that you used four pieces of fabric instead of two because it makes it mush more visually interesting. Lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
landofoz
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009 02:03:01 PM »

Love the style and shape of this bag.  I have seen your pink fabric running around and disliked it enormously however it looks wonderful on this bag!  I love the top-stitching on either side of the side seams.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
oneyedsally

Fabric is taking over my house!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009 07:58:44 PM »

anastrophe - Actually I don't have an industrial machine, it's just very well built. It was my grandmother's first machine after she got married so it's made entirely of metal. It can sew through 8 layers of cotton duck! I rarely use my brand new machine because I love the old one so much.

Oh and the bag is interfaced with one layer of Pellon 987F (fusible fleece) and one layer of Pellon 50. I used Pellon 70 on the bottom. I think the combination works better than just one layer of super stiff interfacing to give a more comfortable bag!

I think it's great that you used four pieces of fabric instead of two because it makes it mush more visually interesting. Lovely.

This is my favorite part about it! I think it really dresses up a sort of plain shape.

Love the style and shape of this bag.  I have seen your pink fabric running around and disliked it enormously however it looks wonderful on this bag!  I love the top-stitching on either side of the side seams.

I'm glad this fabric has grown on you! I have been using it a lot lately  Cheesy Actually at first I almost didn't buy it (I preferred the Fireworks fabric of the same collection) but now I love this one so much more. Wait till you see the bag I have in my studio now, it's brown imitation leather with green topstitching...the detail really stands out! It should be ready to post tomorrow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you like handmade bags and purses, check out my etsy!

http://londonpurple.etsy.com

My blog http://londonpurple.blogspot.com
GrannysAnnie

"It's always something!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009 04:59:09 AM »

*That* is an amazing bag.  I want one!  And it looks waaaaaaaay better than the original Coach bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The screenname says it all - I'm my Granny's Annie!

*PhD student and audiologist extraordinaire*
anastrophe
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009 05:04:09 AM »

Oh and the bag is interfaced with one layer of Pellon 987F (fusible fleece) and one layer of Pellon 50. I used Pellon 70 on the bottom. I think the combination works better than just one layer of super stiff interfacing to give a more comfortable bag!

That's a great idea with the interfacing. I use Pellon 70 a lot and I hate how stiff it is...almost as bad as needlepoint canvas. I never even thought to use fleece!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
sixblueirises
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009 05:58:03 AM »

*That* is an amazing bag.  I want one!  And it looks waaaaaaaay better than the original Coach bag.

I totally agree,  GrannysAnnie!

I totally have to get myself some of this fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love instant gratification almost as much as I love parentheses!
CloudHuggers
Love-N-Stuff,

A division of Cloud Huggers Creations

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009 06:14:50 AM »

What an awesome bag!  I haven't tried putting a zipper on a bag yet.  I'm scared I'll mess it up.  LOL  You did a great job on yours though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love-N-Stuff,

-Donna-
www.cloudhuggers.com
AudreyJ84
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009 06:35:32 AM »

Awesome bag!  And that star fabric is the softest I've felt too!  I saw it in pink and lime green at my local quilt store and it was so hard to leave it all on the bolt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wendellina

CMF since '75 \../ >.< \../

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2009 06:41:13 AM »

Aside from the fact that this has been added to my wists, would you be willing to due a tut on your next one?  I am totally in love with that purse. Yes, I used totally and love in the same sentence. Wink  That is a spot on match to the original.  It looks so professional.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Happy Hobbit Day!
@Home This Weekend: Garden Painting
September 19, 2018 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...