A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
JUNE NEWS ANNOUNCEMENT: Have you seen the Craft Challenge announcement?  Check out the details here!
Total Members: 311,998
Currently Running With Scissors:
377 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone Using a Light Box for their Photos?  (Read 3938 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SuzNTX
Tutorial Contributor

SuzNTX

Crazy for Collars

View Profile WWW
« on: February 07, 2009 05:49:25 PM »

I just started using this light box that I bought on Amazon.com.  I added freezer paper to make a totally white background.  I also added a desk lamp aimed down from above the "target" to add even more light.  I'm still practicing, but I can really tell a difference--especially when taking photos of the glass tile pendants.  If anyone has any tips, please share.
Thanks for looking!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Suzanne in TX
My Blog: www.spt2.blogspot.com
www.crazyforcollars.etsy.com

Make something creative everyday!
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009 07:49:48 AM »

I was going to invest in something, then a biz associate told me to forget about that and go with 100% natural light. She takes great pics and she's going to coach me through every step. I'm going to be experimenting this week. The weather's been pretty mild (in the 30s here in MN - yes, that's mild!) so I might get outside, but will also play with different parts of the kitchen which gets the most light since we've got windows and skylights. My only issue there is what to do with the cats meanwhile.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

titancia
Are you a good twin or a bad twin?

It's Thistle with a Bobo on her head!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009 10:20:48 AM »

I have the same lightbox, and I'm still learning to use mine. Smiley I think I need to get a light to shine from the top like you have--I found the little lights are a bit yellow for my taste. I've tried it with a couple of OTT lights as well, but they're just not as bright as I'd like them to be without actually cramming them IN the lightbox with a tiny object to photograph. I WISH I could count on Natural light all the time, but unfortunately by the time I get home from work the sun has already begun to set.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lmcbride
It's business time.

My place is usually tidier than this.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009 03:35:27 PM »

I make a lot of tiny things for swaps and I am so tired of waiting for a sunny day so I can attempt to get good photos.  Also I find that sometimes the sunlight is just too bright and it washes out the colors or makes a glare, or I can't get in a good position.  I am thinking (hoping) that having a light box will allow me to have more control.  All of the stuff I've seen around craftster that was photographed in a light box has impressed and inspired me.  So tomorrow I am going to attempt to make my version of the light box that is on the instructables website (maybe also posted on craftser?  I can't remember Undecided) that is made from notched foamcore so you can set it up or break it down easily - I don't have any space to keep one just sitting around all the time.  I also saw, in my internets travels, someone had made a lightbox out of a plastic storage box with freezer paper in it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Get rid of all your boring, tiresome friends. Make friends with cabaret stars, exotic dancers, and down-on-their-luck royality instead." Jonathan Adler
ImagineArt
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009 06:58:54 PM »

I have one just like that, but I bought it from another vendor...Highsmith, I think. I love it. I love that it folds up totally flat and fits in a cool little carrying case that accommodates the lights too.

I usually end up hanging the lights over the edge of the 'walls' to get better lighting on the thing I'm trying to photgraph.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beadedbyamy
I grow my flowers from seed bead.

<3 Amy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009 07:17:35 AM »

I have a lightbox made from foam board with small shop lights. It definitely makes a big difference, but I need to experiment with bulb type and quantity some more, as the pictures I take are too soft instead of vivid. I think there's too much yellow.

I used to just use outdoor light, but it's usually dark by the time I get home from work, and I can't always count on it being sunny. I've just gotten tired of waiting for the sunshine to be there when I need it. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RagnazIdnar
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009 11:19:53 PM »

I just started using a lightbox a bit ago and found a HUGE improvement in my photos. I couldn't justify spending the money on one and I wasn't sure where I was going to put it, but I found an online tutorial for a collapsible lightbox made out of foamcore pieces. It cost me less then $10 to put together and works great. The trick was not really learning how to use the lightbox, but how to use my camera! Haha. I messed with the settings a lot to find what works best for me. Before I was using natural light, but with the cold weather and my night-owl sleeping habits I needed a way to take photos that worked on my schedule.

If you're interested, I blogged about it some: http://ragnazidnar.blogspot.com/2009/01/let-there-be-lightbox.html
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009 06:54:17 AM by jungrrl - Reason: edited to include specific blog link. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of the Eastern Wa Etsy Team!
www.ragnazidnar.etsy.com
PrettyPinkMomma
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009 12:33:32 AM »

Thank you so much for this great information!  I spent so much time taking pictures today trying to use natural light and I just couldn't get it right.  I also did not want to spend a ton on a picture box.  Can someone tell me where to get the foam and I am pretty sure what freezer paper is...

Thanks! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you are interested in promoting your business please check out my blog www.prettypinkmomma.blogspot.com and see if you would be interested in sponsoring a giveaway for my readers.  Thanks!
RagnazIdnar
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009 10:32:28 PM »

Thank you so much for this great information!  I spent so much time taking pictures today trying to use natural light and I just couldn't get it right.  I also did not want to spend a ton on a picture box.  Can someone tell me where to get the foam and I am pretty sure what freezer paper is...

Thanks! Grin

I get foam core at my local craft store. A lot of art shops and framing places carry it too.
Freezer paper is sold at the grocery store- it is waxy on one side and plain white on the other. The reason it works so well is that you can cut a piece long enough for the box, but wrapping paper or a big piece of bristol paper work just as well if your local market doesn't carry the freezer paper. For a variety of backgrounds get a couple different papers.
Make sure as well that you are using daylight spectrum bulbs (reveal brand or others) at least 75 watt or higher. I use 150 watt, but also have 500 watt tungsten bulbs for bigger items. The lower the wattage the darker the photo will be so you'll have to compensate by increasing your exposure or brightness. My camera seems to work best on the "tungsten" setting without flash and with a +2/3 exposure. Be sure to use a tripod and the timer feature for really crisp photos. Macro (looks like a little tulip) is definitely your friend with small, detailed pieces such as jewelry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of the Eastern Wa Etsy Team!
www.ragnazidnar.etsy.com
PrettyPinkMomma
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009 01:07:43 AM »

Thank you so much for the great info, I really appreciate it! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you are interested in promoting your business please check out my blog www.prettypinkmomma.blogspot.com and see if you would be interested in sponsoring a giveaway for my readers.  Thanks!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Wonderful Walls
Machine Embroidery: not just for tea towels
Tute Tuesday: Ribbon Ice Cream Cone

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...