A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 314,372
Currently Running With Scissors:
244 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Who do you help?  (Read 1226 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

belle.neary
« on: February 03, 2009 03:12:37 PM »

I've been researching to help with my craft things for organizations, but I'm not sure how I can determine whether an organization is legitimate or not.  I've heard rumors in the past from individuals that don't use the crafts for what they say they will, and want to make sure that if I send something, it actually gets to the person in need.  Is there a way to track this or is there a way to find out whether someone is really doing what they say?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

You cannot master what you will not try

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009 04:05:21 PM »

If they are not for profit, there should be a 501(c)3 on file for them.  You should be able to look it up in county records.

Generally, if they are asking for handcrafted, it's probably legit.  Most people don't collect things they can't fence unless it's actually for a worthy cause.  I'm sure there are a few bad ones, but I've never seen them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Back...after a long hiatus.

Hoping to get caught up again.
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009 09:40:03 PM »

I would also check locally. See if there are some charities in your area that you really want to help out and go from there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rockmygypsysoul
Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009 10:23:53 AM »

I would also say that you should be able to obtain some basic information from them - if they are a United Way agency, for example, that makes them more legitimate.  Or if they are funded by government grants, they're usually more legitimate.  All of those things (United Way, state or federal grants), require outside audits every year.  Most non-profits will be willing to let you know ways they are funded, even if they don't give specifics.

I work at non-profits for my career (I'm now a grantwriter) and if places are getting government funding or are recognized by their local non-profit group (theres usually a United Way or a Council of local governments, etc.) that indicates that they are legitimate.

Hope that helps!

Worst case scenario, pick some place local and before you donate, ask if you can tour their facilities and see what they do.  They should be willing to either do that or at least provide you other information to ease your concerns!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastorm.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
manunson
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009 07:46:24 PM »

Just a side note on the whole 5013C thing -- my sister almost died (exactly one year ago to the day, to be exact) and honestly, for a while there, we weren't sure if she was even going to live. Once we felt she was in the clear, we started working on that whole pesky 5013C thing...it can take up to a year!  We don't have ours yet, but if you see my other post (look for the cute naked baby) you'll see that I'm requesting items.  I can tell you that we DO have a web site, we DO have an event poster and I put hours, and hours of work into those.  To the last poster's point, asking for hand-made stuff most likely is legit. 

If I was in it for the money, I'd just pyrite stuff on e-bay, ya know? 

It IS a good idea to be careful, and also, to not get overwhelmed, you almost have to stick to one subject, like, orgs that my craftster people support, or orgs for animals, or stroke, or whatever.  I'm one of those people that just can't say no, and I'm learning how to now. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for your extra inventory for a silent auction to help my sister.  See my post in "crafting for good..."
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009 05:08:02 AM »

manunson..a year,really??? for the 501(c)3..I have filed those for a few of the nonprofits that I have volunteered for and it didnt take long at all..if you dont mind me asking..whats the hold up??

anywho..I was just wondering about this too about who to donate to..

I want to help but I want it to help..if that makes sense..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Dragonflies in the Yard
Tute Tuesday: Mini Messenger Bag
Black and White and Red All Over

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...