A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,626
Currently Running With Scissors:
203 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: coat from legend of the seeker  (Read 44274 times)
Tags for this thread: coat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

TexasThistle
Innocent until PROVEN guilty

This is complete BS.

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2009 11:44:13 AM »

I saw Kahlan's traveling coat on Lengend of the Seeker and I just have to have it! It looks like this:

the bottom is in sections.

any ideas on how to get this look?

does anyone else think that sam rami's costume designer is friggin' awesome?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am open to personal swaps (feedback is untrue)
shecrafty
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009 11:53:05 AM »

That is AWESOME!!! Grin

I too would love to know how this was done.  Hope fully someone knows!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loulabear
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009 11:54:07 AM »

I love love love the costume design.  I want her white confessor's cloak so incredibly bad.  Sadly, I have no idea how to make it.  Good luck, post pics as soon as you're done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TexasThistle

This is complete BS.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009 11:59:50 AM »

I love love love the costume design.  I want her white confessor's cloak so incredibly bad.  Sadly, I have no idea how to make it.  Good luck, post pics as soon as you're done!

me too! I am totally going to be her (in the white outfit) for halloween this year.only because a mord-sith costume won't fit into my crafting schedule though. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lafemmefatale

Can't be old n wise if you are never young n crazy

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009 11:59:54 AM »

I would love a shorter sweater like that.  Gorgeous neckline.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

caffeinechipmunk
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009 12:03:05 PM »

ok so this is a little OT but how is the show? is it a show or a mini-series? I taped a few episodes on dvr but I'm not sure what one to start with. i'll have to look it up...I think i missed a few anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crystal

My husband and I co-parent 7 kids. And we like to make different shit. Some of it we sell.  www.etsy.com/shop/80thirteen
evilchicklet
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009 12:04:15 PM »

By 'sections', do you mean it's split up the sides??  If you need to work from patterns, then I'd check out some of vogue or butternick's winter coat patterns.  You'll need to alter the neckline probably, but you might find something pretty close.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TexasThistle

This is complete BS.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009 12:05:58 PM »

ok so this is a little OT but how is the show? is it a show or a mini-series? I taped a few episodes on dvr but I'm not sure what one to start with. i'll have to look it up...I think i missed a few anyway.

the show is great! not as bloody or graphic as the books but good. it is kinda like hercules or xena but less campy (same director)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Destined To Fail
Craftster Duo!

2 heads are better than 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009 12:06:37 PM »

That top part looks like it has a very large 'shawl' collar that folds over the shoulders. Hope that helps a bit! Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

W
             WWWWW
    W      WWWWW        W
WWW   WWWWW    WWW
WWW   WWWWW    WWW
   WWW    WWW    WWW
     WWW  WWW  WWW
           WWWWWWW
      WWWW  |  WWWW
                      |
                      |
aeanderson
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009 12:23:23 PM »

I would say that it looks like it takes a lot of draping. The collar especially.

I hope you have great luck with this project. It looks really interesting.

(btw- I'm Old Greg. Cheesy Love the Boosh. Can't wait for another season.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
clayfaery
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009 12:36:25 PM »

Ooo are there any other pictures of it? it looks really awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nofury

With every breath of honesty, I strip before you.

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009 03:20:18 PM »

I love everything she wears on that show. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2009! 26/50
Flickr!
Wist!
"We are all trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why." --K. Vonnegut
veggie head 4 life

Chickpeas & peanut butter will feed the world!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009 06:12:17 PM »

word! i love this show. the scenery it amazing and so it all of the women's costuming.  i can't wait to see what you come up with in tribute to this beauteous character and her costumes  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dance through your days........

my fabric-tastic blog
http://agreenbanana.blogspot.com/

Let's be friends!!
http://www.myspace.com/greeeengoooodness
lorchick
Obsessive Compulsive

; p

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009 05:50:25 AM »

My husband loves this show so much he wants to name our next child Kaelynn. I hope we have a girl if I get pregnant again or that could be awkward. XD
i LOVE the costume design for this show. Especially hers. XD if I had the figure for it, I'd walk around dressed like a confessor all day. No lie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have sixtybillion more ideas than actual completed projects. Blog stalker, fast talker, slow walker!
I am lorchick of ON{thelaundry}LINE blog.
Smell the flowers, kill the bugs, laugh at your mistakes, and hide the laundry! Cheesy
TexasThistle

This is complete BS.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009 08:18:54 AM »

thatks for the support everyone! I have a black trench coat I got for a buck at Goodwill that I am going to practice on as a mock-up of what I eventually want to do. I think ultimately Vouge pattern V1266 is what i am going to use and modify
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melissafairy08
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009 08:50:42 AM »

the show is great! not as bloody or graphic as the books but good. it is kinda like hercules or xena but less campy (same director)

Is it based on Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" series? Sounds like it is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet.
TexasThistle

This is complete BS.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009 10:09:14 AM »

yup you are right!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009 11:41:17 AM »

My husband loves this show so much he wants to name our next child Kaelynn. I hope we have a girl if I get pregnant again or that could be awkward. XD
i LOVE the costume design for this show. Especially hers. XD if I had the figure for it, I'd walk around dressed like a confessor all day. No lie.

I read all of this series.  I LOVE it.  We did name our little girl Cailin, a varient of Kahlan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smashergrl
Doing what you like is Freedom. Liking what you do is Happiness.

Procrastination: art of keeping up with last week

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009 07:12:20 PM »

Is it based on Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" series? Sounds like it is.

Yes, it's based on his series. I think the books are better, even if the clothes are awesome!  I especially LOVED the Mord-Sith leather suit!    Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nevaehyeknom
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009 09:23:23 PM »

Good luck!  Kahlan's clothes are awesome!  I knew from the thumbnail that it was Legend of the Seeker-related.  I like the show too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chibirinoa
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2009 01:09:07 PM »

Ooo! Any progress so far? I'd love to see!
I've been gathering up references and am planning on making the green outfit, white confessors gown, and her traveling cloak hopefully by the end of this year. I absolutely love these costumes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To see more of my projects please visit http://www.laurakane.webs.com!
TexasThistle

This is complete BS.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2009 11:30:58 AM »

i have been looking for the right fabric. I want it to look almost exactly like it.

but I think I am going to wind up settling for a brown cotton that kinda looks like suede from a distance.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009 11:31:32 AM by VinceNoir » THIS ROCKS   Logged

TexasThistle

This is complete BS.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2009 06:50:15 AM »

I found the perfect fabric!

http://www.fabric.com/apparel-fashion-fabric-linen-fabric-european-linen-fabric-european-linen-cilantro.aspx

now to find out how much yardage I need!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2009 10:34:01 PM »

A guesstamate on my end but maybe 5 yards for that coat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chibirinoa
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009 05:49:19 AM »

Linen is definitely the way to go! I can't wait to see your coat, I probably won't be able to start on mine for a few months. Let me know if you need any additional images of the costume, I've collected quite a bit of hi-res images of all of her costumes from different angles.
 My favorite part of her costumes are the giant hoods and the fact that they all lace up in interesting ways!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To see more of my projects please visit http://www.laurakane.webs.com!
pouscat
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2009 08:12:38 PM »

The collar of the coat is actually the front of a large hood, makes it look like lapels sort of. I was trying to pick it apart myself when I was watching it. Linen would give a good worn look but so would a nice tightly woven, close to middleweight, canvas. Canvas would be warmer with only a thin lining, and therefore it would lay closer to the body and be more form fitting. But that is of course only if you really wanted a functional coat, if you are just looking to reproduce the garment then Linen would be fine :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
matty
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2009 07:33:36 AM »

I happened to read this thread a few days back and was dieing to prepare a coat of that kind.... Finally I got a suitable fabric at a online clothing & apparel store http://www.storeshere.com/public_html/html/Clothing_L2K_Apparel/ and would start sewing by next week.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009 07:42:24 AM by matty - Reason: spelling mistake » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kasarr
Kasarr's Costumes

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2009 12:02:54 PM »

I can recreate this coat and any other costumes people want. I am a costume designer and seamstress. My pic is a sample of my work, and Elf from LOTR. Email me: lb_laurie_browne@yahoo.ca
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skipstitch
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2009 08:19:28 PM »

These shows also all have the same costume designer, Jane Holland, she's kinda like my idol....
Anyway, the white confessor's robe is a one of a kind, handmade by Jane without a pattern, so best of luck to any who tries to reproduce it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ashala
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2009 02:50:29 AM »

I love that dress. And the series too. The costuming is so gorgeous I'm completely distracted from the storyline.

Today I visited the costuming livejournal community for the first time in over a year and found out someone made the white dress. (I think both dresses use the same pattern.) She used Butterick B4827, but made the pattern for the hood herself. I think the best way to make it is making a big hood from an old sheet or something, see how it drapes and adjust until you're happy with it.

The original posts:
http://community.livejournal.com/costuming/235412.html for detailed pictures
http://community.livejournal.com/costuming/237347.html for the dress on a person

I would love to see your findings. I intend to make the dress too, after about ten other projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fellsofagirl
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2010 09:32:53 AM »

Hi!

I <3 this show and am about to make some costumes inspired by it. 

I would recommend checking your local fabric shop for patterns with a similar neckline, as this is the most important feature.  You may need to reconcile a few patterns together to REALLY get the look... or modify one pattern to get it.

The closest I have found to the look of the upper half of the coat is a Vogue Pattern: 8429.  http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v8429-products-8004.php?page_id=262

With a few modifications to the jacket, you'll have the coat you want.  You'll want to lengthen it, and fit it closer to your body and your arms.  The other option would be to add this collar to a basic button front shirt pattern that you've lengthened.  The fabric choices will also direct the flow and fit: I'd use a linen or linen look fabric, suede for the triangular trim, and then a rolled suede or linen edging.  Grommets up center front from waist up in lieu of button, and trim down the arms (or laces, if you wish) will get you this look.   

This same idea can be applied to the white Mother Confessor coat, but make the sleeve 3/4 length and add the remainder in a sheer fabric cut in a long rectangle; just attach to the edge of the sleeve, leaving it open at the top to flow down.

Good luck!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
fellsofagirl
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2010 07:50:23 AM »

I was on a quest to find a pattern that was even remotely close to the collar on Kahlan's jacket; I wanted to make a cape, not a jacket... but the best pattern I found (better than the last one I posted) is from New Look; it's #6916.  I got it at JoAnne's, I think it was $3.99.

It wouldn't be a big deal to take a standard coat pattern and adjust the coat neckline front and back so the collar will attach nicely.  The collar also needs to be extended.  I watched the most recent episode of Legend on Hulu and froze the screen when Kahlan turned her back to the camera; the collar/hood extends to about where her shoulder blades are.  This is a relatively easy adjustment to make, but I would try it with a muslin first and check how the drape feels on your own body to get it just right.

At any rate, the Newlook pattern is a great jumping off point for the smooth finish of the collar/hood.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ravenkat1
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2010 12:13:59 PM »

My son just got me into this series, and I think its great. I found someone who made Kahlans 2 outfits for someone and they are selling them, idk if this helps anyone here, but it was a trial thing for this person, so it can be done. Here are the pages if anyone wants to see how close someone else came to making the outfits correctly.

http://www.jeannienitro.com/wl07.htm

http://www.jeannienitro.com/sdct7.htm

Good luck to all, I think these outfits are great too. Would love to wear these or Anna's or any Legend of the Seeker female outfits to the Renn Faire!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trendzmania
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2015 10:05:39 AM »

great design i would like to buy that if i can afford it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kimmibram
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2016 11:28:07 PM »

Kahlans travelling coat looks really nice; I love the design and detailing on the neckline. The collar gives me the feeling of a mini cape lying on the shoulders. She carried it off gracefully & all the girls around are drooling over it. I am a big fan of The Legend of the seeker and when I saw this coat worn by the actress I just started loving it. The truth is that I was waiting for a picture to come out so that I could take some style inspiration and see here it is Im happy and in love!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clipboard Photo Display
Party with a Pumpkin Challenge Winner: Floral Pumpkin Centerpiece
November 15, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...