A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,620
Currently Running With Scissors:
285 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Machine Quilting  (Read 791 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

BattleAxe
« on: January 31, 2009 07:14:00 PM »

For those of you who use a regular sewing machine to machine quilt the top, how do you do it?  How do you manage a quilt in a sewing machine.  I have a hard enough time doing a simple grid let alone some sort of pattern. Do you not get bunching?  And what about pins getting in the way?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
danni42683
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009 08:39:07 AM »

I do from time to time although I don't think I like to! LOL if you roll the quilt up its not to hard as long as you don't have to turn it around and stuff like that. If you are talking about free motion quilting its not to hard but still a PITA!
I don't use pins to baste my quilts, I either use a basting gun, or I just hand baste it! the more basting you do the better everything stays in place and the less bunching you have!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gemmalou
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009 02:27:32 PM »

I'm about to quilt my first proper sized quilt and I'm also worried!  The quilt is much bigger than the table I work on already.  Can you baste using the machine with big loose stitches and then machine quilt, then remove the basting?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anaximander
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009 04:12:06 PM »

okay. there are a NUMBER of threads dealing with this topic, including ones found here:

https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=243147.0

https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=225786.0

https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=113924.0

Please, please, please search before you post - I understand it's a new problem to you, but re-typing the same instructions over and over is a waste of time & bandwidth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BattleAxe
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009 04:38:01 PM »

I had searched.... I ended up with tons of stuff to file through that weren't relevant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LibbyK

Eres la fea mas bella y no te has dado cuenta...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009 01:08:06 PM »

I use fusible batting for basting, and it keeps things together pretty well plus you don't have to worry about pins getting in the way.  I have hand basted for machine quilting, but the basting stitches always get caught on the walking foot when I'm repositioning the quilt.  Not the end of the world, obviously, but a little inconvenient.  I sometimes use clothespins to secure the rolled up part of the quilt I'm not currently working on.  A lot depends on the size of the quilt - I won't do anything much bigger than 60"x70" on my home machine. 

As with all things, practice makes perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://quiltster.blogspot.com

If you are working on (or thinking about starting) a postage stamp quilt with 1.5" squares, I have scraps and squares to give away.  PM me if you're interested.
danni42683
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009 07:00:31 AM »

I just found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCgeA1qymQQ on youtube and I thought about this post!! I like the idea of "quilt as you go" and you could quilt each block any way you wanted whether it be like she does it in the video or a pattern! It would be SOOOO much easier to manage. I am sure most local library might even have this book.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009 07:01:21 AM by danni42683 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahsews
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009 06:20:39 PM »

I have a basic sewing machine and find that a walking foot is essential for machine quilting.  The walking foot feeds the fabric through evenly and there is no bunching.  I've been stitching vertical quilting lines, spaced no more than 6 inches apart, for all of the quilts I make.  It seems to be working fine...my quilts look nice in the end, if not completely professional. 

Also, I never mark quilting lines because I'm lazy.  I love the look of slightly imperfect stitching lines, though I do try to line up the stitches with the seams or pattern of the fabric as much as I am able.  Be sure to roll up the quilt on both sides when you feed it through the machine.  It can be a pain sometimes, but worth it in the end! 

I hope this helps.  Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clipboard Photo Display
Party with a Pumpkin Challenge Winner: Floral Pumpkin Centerpiece
November 15, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...