A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,456
Currently Running With Scissors:
147 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: last. one. ever. (she hopes)  (Read 5363 times)
Tags for this thread: patchwork , skirt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« on: January 25, 2009 10:45:19 AM »

I dipped down one more time into gathering hell to make dd a rainbow patchwork skirt b/c she pointed out that I never actually made her one.

To go with, a simple cream peasant blouse with an embellished edge (the fabric came like this).  Not a table cloth  Cheesy

the belt is her 'cool girl' belt.  because she's a cool girl, jsyk.

(should of cut those strings  Embarrassed)

And that's it.  No more patchwork twirl skirts for me.  Damnit. (I'm having dejavu here...)

questions, comments always welcome  Smiley

oh, forgot!

tutorials here: http://indietutes.blogspot.com/2007/07/peasant-blouse.html
and here: http://indietutes.blogspot.com/2007/05/patchwork-circle-skirt.html
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009 10:46:52 AM by vegbee » THIS ROCKS   Logged

fionamomof2

SunShine & DayDreams

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009 11:06:02 AM »

Beautiful...the skirt, the pictures, and your DD. As usual!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Strawberryh

Jesus save me from your followers

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009 12:01:31 PM »

It looks great!
If you can get a hold of a serger then you can a just the differential feed and it will gather the material. this also make great ruffles for other projects. Then you just straight stitch the row on the the next row. Also My friend makes adult ones in solids but uses blocks 12 by 12 for them.   They are much faster in the making. I can't tell you how many times she comes over to just serge a few skirt pieces we have a day of it. Also while you have the material out you can make an extra roww to add at a later date when she has a growth spurt, if you can put it were you can remember were it that is when you need it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009 12:10:20 PM »

thanks fionamomof2 and Strawberryh!

Strawberryh,
I like to use clear elastic to gather for these because it gives me an exact length of gather.  my serger doesn't do the gathering at the correct length for a circle skirt, and then I have to do additional gathering or loosen it off before attaching (which is way more time consuming than anything).  The clear elastic is pretty simple actually (I whine too much) but the having to sew on 10 feet of material for that last row is just too boring - I get twitchy  Cheesy  I've done dozens of these types of dresses and skirts (twitch, twitch).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Imsleepy

Zurich, my service dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009 12:57:03 PM »

About 20 years ago, the reason I started sewing is because I had 2 boys, and there was such a limited selection of clothing for little boys.  While my boys had absolutely fabulous wardrobes, I've always dreamed of sewing fancy things for little girls... these pictures are why!  She looks SOOOO absolutely adorable, and so happy to be wearing her new outfit, it makes my heart sing.  Hopefully one day, one of my boys will gift me with a grandchild or two, and at least one of them will be a little girl.  If she is half as sweet as your little one, I'll be a happy camper!  While the gathering might not be your favorite, you certainly are gifted at it, and did a fabulous job on it!  The way you worked the colors and patterns is really great too.  That's why I usually dislike patchwork.. it doesn't always "match up" to the point where it's a nice match.  I've seen so many great matches here on Craftster though, that my opinion has changed.  Now I realize it CAN be done tastefully, and this is one of the finest examples I've seen!  She looks like a little princess!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~If someone offers you a gift, and you decline to accept it, the other person still owns that gift. The same is true of insults and verbal attacks.
~We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart.
~Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.  I'll take cheese over worms!
threegirlsandaboy
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009 01:24:42 PM »

The outfit is adorable!  She always looks like she has so much fun in her new clothes!  I did totally think the blouse was made out of a tablecloth.   Wink  It's very cute too! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
karentopaz
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009 01:26:37 PM »

I love the skirt and I LOVE the blouse.  I always enjoy seeing your projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cosmoblue
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009 01:59:22 PM »

It is so very adorable. Too adorable. I am hiding the monitor so that my DD won't see it and get ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009 02:22:43 PM »

I just love these types of skirts and this one is beautiful, of course.  A while back I took measurements and did all the math to make my DD one of these but never got around to it.  Now I really wish I remembered where I put those measurements.  I'm also not sure I have all the colors to make a rainbow one.
*runs off to check*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

klippyklip
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009 05:05:05 PM »

I think this is beautiful!  The colors look incredible, and the skirt itself is so unique.  Thanks for sharing!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
April 24, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Toiletry Bag
Weekend Bunnies

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...