A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
209 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Three convertible backpack/tote bags for triplet girls---PIC HEAVY  (Read 5658 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
scifimama
« on: January 17, 2009 08:08:49 AM »

I decided to make xmas presents for my triplet nieces, who just turned 8 years old.  I wanted to make bags for them, and kept hemming and hawing about what kind.  I finally decided, after going through hundreds (it seemed) of tutorials, to just wing it.  My inspiration was a pattern I saw on Purl Soho for a backpack/tote bag (Liesel + Co Backpack Tote).  I just examined the picture, and dumbed it way down so I could make three in a relatively short time.  Oh, and did I mention that this was the first time I have ever made a bag of any kind?  Yeah, I don't believe in doing things the easy way.

So here goes.  (My pictures aren't the greatest because I took most of them at night, but I adjusted the color where I could.)

First, The Cat Bag!

Detail of the vintage red button:

Detail of the lining (sorry about the color, this fabric is white with black and red flowers)

From the back:

And hanging as a backpack:

Second, The Flower Bag!

Vintage Button:

Lining:

Back:

As Backpack:

And Finally, The Bug Bag!

Vintage Button:

Lining:

Back:

As Backpack:

Yeesh, sorry about the gigungous amount of pics.  Well, I hope you enjoy them.  They were totally a pain in the ass, but I think a learning experience as well.  And now I have to make one for my four year old son, as well.  He was pretty disappointed that the backpacks all went to Germany never to return, so his is next in line!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewjayded
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009 08:13:09 AM »

Those are adorable, I'm sure they loved them!  What a neat idea on the straps, though I can't quite get it straight in my head.  lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polly Peanut

gone crazy - back soon!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009 08:29:10 AM »

Yeah, same here  Cheesy But they are awesome! Great first job on bags. I love the fabrics of the first one. I bet your nieces were really exited about these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

purringbubbles
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009 08:31:01 AM »

i lovity love love the kitty fabric on the first one.  a great personality for each one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scifimama
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009 08:33:48 AM »

Oh my gosh, you guys, you should have seen me trying to sew the damn straps on correctly.  Made my head hurt.  If I ever write a tutorial, my brain might explode. In short, one long strap goes through the d-ring on its own side, then attaches to the d-ring on the other side, and then vice-versa. Got it?  Good.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kalanit
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009 09:28:51 AM »

oh how very cute! I am sure they were thrilled to each have their very own that doesn't look like their sisters!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Marbles 29
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009 10:50:17 AM »

Those are really great and pretty. Great job. Every time i make a bag i always mess it up lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eightdandelions
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009 01:45:31 PM »

Wow, great job and great idea!  Those bags are so fun, I'm sure they will be around for a long time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mhills

That's A Stitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009 08:09:43 AM »

What did you use for the closure, is it a hair band? If so, do you think they are strong enough.  I have been deciding whether to use a hair band in place of fabric loop to use a button closure
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lacyjae
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009 05:55:41 AM »

These are really great! Love the cat fabric, the bugs - and the lining of the third one is AMAZING! I want it so bad lol. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lacy Jae
"Light, in the absence of eyes, illuminates nothing."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...