A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 315,260
Currently Running With Scissors:
219 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: red red linen dress  (Read 1911 times)
Tags for this thread: shawl , wrap , shrug  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« on: January 16, 2009 12:34:37 PM »

I finally got to do a bit of sewing this week.  I have sewing plans for this weekend but I thought I'd share this now.

I originally traced the pattern for this from Ottobre way back in december.  It was intended to be a solistice gift for the monkey.  However, life got in the way, and it wasn't until last week that I got around to cutting it out.

It is princess lenght, btw, for anyone with a preschool girl.  Apparently princesses can not see their own feet or they will faint or sprout warts or something horrible, so my princess can only wear very long dresses.  jsyk.

I chose the red linen to be seasonal, but nixed the sleeves from the pattern and then failed to line it (I used bias tape to secure the neck and armholes).  I like that it will be cool enough to wear in the summer (long enough to protect the legs from the sun) and roomy enough to layer underneath for winter wear.

The back is modified from the original pattern - I just put in two hook and bar sets to keep it closed and curved it instead of having two meeting 90 degree edges.

I couldn't get a good shot of the bodice to show you how many ways the bodice is cut up and sewn together so I played with the colour so you could see.  The bottom is actually in two parts, with the bottom layer cut on the bias for extra twirl.

The whole thing is nicely understated with the solid colour and design... I'm rather pleased and, best part, the monkey likes it and it isn't even pink or purple.  I'm thinking that it needs a little shrug to keep her arms covered in this cold weather.  Something for the bottom of the list  Roll Eyes  I can't wait to wash it too.  Linen always looks best freshly washed and the seams will all settle in with the bias tape.

Comments, questions always welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Solitaire

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009 12:43:12 PM »

Beautiful dress! And the lil monkey is adorable. I understand about princess length dresses, because I have a 5 yo that loves her dresses long and twirly as well. It's amazing what happens to them when they see their feet  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Craft, Therefore, I AM!  )O(
KitschyCoo
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009 03:00:41 PM »

Very pretty!  I really like what you've done with the back and the linen sets off the dress beautifully!  BTW, my girl is much smaller than yours but will not tolerate anything below the knee, or full.  She's a micro-mini all the way!  Wonder if sometime she'll go princessey?  Was yours always princess inclined?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EMNemastil
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009 03:38:10 PM »

I love the back, it's so sweet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Giraffecat
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009 05:07:37 PM »

I love this dress.  I noticed right away that there was something special going on on the bodice.  Very nice.  I also love the idea of curving the back down a little instead of using corners....unique.  Great dress....and it will definitely transition well into summer.  I can't wait till MY little one wears clothes for more than a couple weeks before growing out of them....kind of hard to see blood sweat and tears sewing not get much use! :-)  (sorry to ramble)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009 08:14:12 PM »

thanks all for the lovely words!

KitschyCoo, my daughter couldn't give a fig about princesses until she went to preschool.  And now she wants a hannah montanna backpack.  Couldn't tell me who the heck this hannah chick is (she's never even seen network television for crying out loud), but she's all over the backpack  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Flutteringby
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009 12:37:37 AM »

Couldn't tell me who the heck this hannah chick is (she's never even seen network television for crying out loud), but she's all over the backpack  Roll Eyes

That dress is gorgeous and my daughter is exactley the same with Hannah Montana never watched it in her life but suddenly is her biggest fan since she started school!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThirdMargaret

I'm not happy, I'm cheerful. There's a difference.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009 11:09:42 AM »

What a lovely dress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009 12:11:00 PM »

I love the color, it's my favorite. I also like that the bodice has some interest instead of being all one piece. That was a good idea using bias tape instead of lining it. I live in AZ. I may use this idea on the next dresses I make for Katie, since it's so hot here. I don't see that the skirt is cut on the bias, but that does make the fabric flow differently. It may show better after washing it. Great dress over all. I'd love one for myself! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

danirene
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009 01:50:51 PM »

I love this... so simple and elegant, yet playful and roomy enough to run in.

Gorgeous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mini Book Jewelry
Let's Spool Up!
Meatless Monday: Spinach and Cheese Gnocchi Bake

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...