A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
221 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: a different kind of necklace, img heavy  (Read 6254 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
RondaS
Greetings and Merry Meet!

I am better, but still easily tired...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007 10:43:45 PM »

I'm just an amateur and I wouldn't know golden topaz from citrine, but I know difference between garnet and carnelian. In my country lot of people who sell jewelry and/or jewelry making supplies don't know what are they selling. That is why I like to ask some people I assume know what is what, and, of course, that is a chance for me to learn something new (like this opal explanation).

Well, whatever you call it, this necklace will look great.

Well, I have to tell you that I learn new things every single day! I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between golden topaz and citrine myself - guess I better put that on my list - since I don't have the equipment to do a hardness test or composition test.

there are very specific ways to tell one stone from another and lists of what makes them different besides color, but for a lot of those tests you need to either have the right equipment and be willing to damage the stone, or know someone who does!

I just joined a minerological society just so I can pick people's brains and find out who in this area has access to the right equipment! LOL!

Do you have anything like that where you are?

Ronda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

feel I've been sick forever - still tired and RUNNING LATE!!!

WARNING: MAGNETS, EVEN SMALL ONES, CAN INTERFERE WITH OR DAMAGE COMPUTERS AND ELECTRONICS LIKE CELL PHONES, AND ERASE DATA CODES ON CREDIT CARDS!

Give me a bag of tumbled stones and I will play for hours! Wink

Brightest Blessings!
Cayca
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007 11:19:17 PM »

Well the situation in my country is a bit difficult. We do have a gemological society, but I can't become a member and I don't know any members I could ask for a favour. I don't think there are individuals here that own spectroscope and such so I rely on friends that have studied mineralogy to tell me which is which (and they should go to Heaven for their endless patience with me).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RondaS

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007 06:56:27 PM »

there are some good reference books out there - can you get access to some on the Amazon.com? or at your library?

Ronda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WARNING: MAGNETS, EVEN SMALL ONES, CAN INTERFERE WITH OR DAMAGE COMPUTERS AND ELECTRONICS LIKE CELL PHONES, AND ERASE DATA CODES ON CREDIT CARDS!

Brightest Blessings!
RondaS

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008 12:58:19 AM »

finally found out that these greenish stones are being called "Kiwi Agate" by vendors on the internet

thought I would share that.

Ronda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Brightest Blessings!
Wanda5156
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008 07:24:13 AM »

Beautiful necklace and I love the beads too. I have been seeing some very reasonable beads and findings on Ebay from China but have been afraid to order from there. I ordered some stuff from Hong Kong once and it took 2 months to finally get them to send it so it sort of burned me. It wasnt beads but still... scary.

Wanda H.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RondaS

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2008 05:45:55 PM »

Beautiful necklace and I love the beads too. I have been seeing some very reasonable beads and findings on Ebay from China but have been afraid to order from there. I ordered some stuff from Hong Kong once and it took 2 months to finally get them to send it so it sort of burned me. It wasnt beads but still... scary.

Wanda H.

I order from China a lot, but not through eBay usually. It is a bit of a crapshooot and honestly, if you are buying wholesale or in bulk you get it faster, whereas if you are only ordering a few items it takes forever and errors are harder to get straightened out! Plus there is the whole cultural and language differences thing. And one time I got socked for customs charges that were more than the cost of my order!

Once you find a decent supplier who communicates well, become a repeat customer is my main advice for ordering from China.

Ronda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Brightest Blessings!
Riechan

Flowers in full bloom do not last forever!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009 02:29:07 PM »

Lovely necklace! (and daughter Wink )
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009 02:29:18 PM by Riechan » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Facebook and Etsyshop
IG
Zero waste in progress
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...