A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 314,372
Currently Running With Scissors:
201 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Spicy BBQ Mock Duck  (Read 4229 times)
Tags for this thread: vegetarian , spicy , duck  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

kala

vegans are yummy!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 08, 2009 09:56:15 AM »

The other day, I made one of my favorite dishes, BBQ Mock duck.  If you don't know what mock duck is, it's basically canned seitan.  Anyway, the BBQ is really easy to make and really tasty, I even made it for our wedding (although it was a much less spicy version than when I make it for myself and my husband).    I posted the recipe on my food blog but I thought I'd share it here too:

BBQ Mock Duck

1 can mock duck, drained, rinsed, and chopped

1/2 medium onion, chopped

1/4 cup maple syrup

1/4 cup ketchup

chipotles in adobo sauce (add them in one at a time until you get the heat level desired)

freshly ground pepper to taste

whole wheat tortilla or bun

Saute the onion for a few minutes until they start to soften. 
While the onion is cooking, add all the other ingredients except the mock duck to a food processor or blender.  Process until smooth. 
Add the mock duck to the pan and cook for a couple of minutes.  Add the sauce and cook for about 5 minutes. 
Serve on a warmed tortilla or toasted bun.

The pictue above shows the ranch dip from Vegan Lunchbox that we had on the side.  The dip was good once we added to it, but it tastes nothing like ranch. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

McJulie-O
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009 10:07:40 AM »

I hate to admit my ignorance, but I've never heard of mock duck OR seitan? Where would I look for it in the grocery store? How big a can did you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kala

vegans are yummy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009 10:12:26 AM »

I hate to admit my ignorance, but I've never heard of mock duck OR seitan? Where would I look for it in the grocery store? How big a can did you use?

No problem, seitan:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat_gluten_(food)

The can I use is 10 oz and comes from the Asian section of the grocery store.  If you live in a small enough area though, you might have to get it as an Asian grocery or order it online. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

McJulie-O
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009 10:14:31 AM »

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bunsenhoneydew13
copacetic

superherogirl.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009 05:58:26 PM »

I made this tonight and wanted to thank you for the recipe!  It was delicious, though I did have to modify your recipe a bit.  I have this ridiculous sensitivity/intolerance for peppers, so I didn't use them.  To make up for it in terms of adding some flavor, I used pineapple chunks in juice.  We had it with wheat naan that I reheated briefly in the oven, and it was awesome.  It fed three of us, though it could have fed more (we just ate a lot!)  Next time I make this (and there will definitely be a next time), I might add a splash of something acidic to cut the sweetness a bit (though I loved it just the way it was). 

So...thanks, kala!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nomadtheeskimo
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009 06:12:37 PM »

Wow.
I have a random can of mock duck in my cupboard, as well as a random can of chipotles in adobo sauce.
I had no idea what to do with them.

FATE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravengambitx
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009 11:42:01 AM »

Thanks Kala.  I made this for my girlfriend as the first meal I made for her (and the first meal I've ever cooked in 28 yrs!)  It was an interesting meal to make as an approximate chef, but we couldn't get hold of chipotles and used a regular chilli instead.  Might try this again using Quorn instead of Seitan.  Thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kala

vegans are yummy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009 12:38:52 PM »

No problem  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sarah_
Can't cook.

Sew lost.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009 06:23:41 PM »

Now, here's the rub:
I've been vegan, say, two years, and my cooking skills in or out of the vegan lifestyle is are nil. Nevertheless I have been meaning to try mock duck. I'm usually scared to try mock meats because they taste bad to me, and I particularly dislike seitan-does the mock duck only bear a resemblance to the seitan taste or is it wholly seitanny? Because this recipe looks positively divine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You're just closer to me when you fall.
kala

vegans are yummy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009 11:36:02 AM »

To me, mock duck tastes a lot better than all of the seitan I've had.  It has a pretty mellow flavor and goes well with just about any spices or sauces you can throw at it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Dragonflies in the Yard
Tute Tuesday: Mini Messenger Bag
Black and White and Red All Over

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...