A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 320,305
Currently Running With Scissors:
235 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: BurdaStyle patterns no longer free  (Read 2559 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Kaitlinnegan
« on: January 07, 2009 05:44:37 PM »

I was just curious if anyone here had gotten the announcement in the newsletter that BurdaStyle is now going to start charging for most of their patterns in order to make the business more "sustainable" (profitable).  User submitted patterns will still be free, but even patterns that used to be free are now available for purchase.  From what I can tell, prices are around $3-5.

I know some people are pretty upset about this - are you? 

I'm not really, but I have a lot of other sources for patterns (including $1 pattern sales and 10 cent thrift store patterns), and I can afford to pay the new fees.  If I see something I really like on BurdaStyle, I would still buy it and make it.  This seems like it might be a bit of a transition for BurdaStyle - expectations about the quality of the patterns, instructions, and customer service will be increased.  It will be interesting to see how the site and patterns change in response. 

Anyway, I'm interested to hear what others think.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
ksnbrown
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009 05:51:37 PM »

I'm glad I saved and downloaded some of my favorites. I think they had a really good thing going, but that is the way the economy goes. User patterns should stay free if the user chooses and maybe they could still release a free pattern every week or so.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't rush forward. When I'm mired in confusion about what the next step should be, when I'm asked to do something for which I feel little enthusiasm, that's my sign to just stop."

http://www.freewebs.com/msknb/index.htm
mystico_tala
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009 08:05:32 PM »

Aw man!  There are a few I wish I had saved.  But, I haven't used them before, so I'm not really too upset.  It really is a shame though Sad  And like you said, with all the sales the other pattern companies have, I wouldn't really bother.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Blog
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009 11:01:37 AM »

maybe they could still release a free pattern every week or so.

Unfortunately, I don't think that is going to happen.  They only ever released new patterns once a week anyway, and they now say that there will be a "few" free patterns released for "basics and accessories."  So - maybe a headband pattern will be free.   Tongue

I do feel bad that some young people with no source of income (and perhaps a significant portion of BurdaStyle's membership) might not be able to afford to buy the patterns now.  It seems like maybe they could give some kind of student discount - but I suppose it would be difficult to verify people's student status or age.  Hmm...   Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
nirauan
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009 12:43:27 PM »

im fairly upset about this as i've just signed up to wardrobe refashion for 6 months ( - no new clothes for 6 months!) now i have no source of patterns as the ones in my local shop are too expensive, usually about 6-7, which i cant afford. I know the patterns are still resonably cheap but when you add the cost of ink, printer paper, taping all the pages together, then cutting out, it seems fairly labour intensive especially when the website is full of bugs and the pattern instructions are of such variable quality. The thing that most hacked me off was the lack of notice, why not charge for patterns from 09 onward and leave the old ones free.

sigh, apologies for the typos, im on a laptop and my nails are scary long
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stelloun
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009 04:24:52 PM »

I am upsetted!!!  it looks like it was free in the beginning and now that they have "customers" they start charging! Its crazy I m so disapointed, lets exchange the ones we have saved  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

radical
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009 07:47:01 PM »

That's too bad.  Most of their free patterns were pretty basic, making them ideal for learning to alter and get creative with them.  I wonder if they'll see a sharp dropoff among the younger "designers-in-training" using their freebie patterns to design and upload photos their own creations.  I really enjoyed that.  They were really quite inspiring and I'll miss them if they stop.

FWIW, I have some of them saved and I'm sure others do.  Not to be subversive or anything, but I'm sure there'll be a lot of sympathetic sharing going on. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nirauan
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009 06:33:58 AM »

i deleted my saved pattens last weekend before i knew about this (grr) some of them are still avaible for free on the german website and on craftzine.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Carillia
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009 10:21:03 AM »

lets exchange the ones we have saved  Wink

Lots of us, me included, have done that already. Wink I really don't mind sharing the ones I have, seeing how they've treated their loyal users as free advertising and now take a turn like this. I don't think there'll be much touble getting any of the previously free patterns from other members.

Today they've removed the charge from the patterns that are free on the german burdamode site, with the exception of Nichola.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009 11:53:55 AM »

I'm very sad about this, because they were not too long ago promoting their free patterns at MakerFaire as part of the Open Source/DIY movement.  I guess we'll just have to make our own patterns and share them, damn it!   Angry

I never used their patterns but I was happy they offered them free, because I support the Sharing Economy.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We can have anything we want, because we can make it." - RovingAnarchist

http://ernestthesiger.org/
http://immenseminiatures.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Pom Pom Shades
February 21, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Ribbon Scarf

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...