A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,766
Currently Running With Scissors:
285 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Barbolot is our next Interviewee! Ask your questions here!  (Read 4302 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
jungrrl
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« on: January 06, 2009 02:25:14 PM »

If you don't know barbolot, you need to check her out NOW!  Her shop, www.ReFabulous.etsy.com, is FULL of awesome re-purposed goodness! She also does consignment and wholesale for other venues.

In addition to keeping her own blog, some of her items have been featured by personal and shopping blogs like Smidge and MightyHaus. She also just did another interview for Green Options/Crafting a Green World that hasn't been published yet.

Her goldfish pincushion and her lavender dryer sachets have each made the front page of etsy multiple times. Her katamari pincushion was even featured in the Storque.

If that wasn't enough, in June '08, just shy of her one-year anniversary on Etsy, she was chosen to be a featured seller!  You can see that interview here.

And if you don't feel amazed by all of that alone, you should know that she does this with 8 kids running around!  Shocked  So let's hear it! What are you dying to ask?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009 02:25:43 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PerachYafeh
C.A.D.ing around...

Got crafts?YouGetFun!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009 03:15:57 PM »

So Barb.....when do you sleep? Wink

Seriously...where all the inspiration comes from? Was it hard to get started with your shop?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009 07:11:26 AM »

8 kids - holy you-know-what!

Here's that age-oder: What are your top 3 marketing and/or promotion tools/resources/techniques? That is, if you can pin them down.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meriweather
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009 05:33:09 PM »

Just checked out your site. Really nice.
I was just wondering if anyone has advice about the "Lead"
regulations.
I guess your item are not specifically for children, so they would be ok.
Do we have to stop making any thing for children?
They even said Libraries may have to remove Children's books. This all sounds so insane.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

magic happens
barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009 08:52:49 PM »

So Barb.....when do you sleep? Wink

Seriously...where all the inspiration comes from? Was it hard to get started with your shop?

Thanks, jungrrl for choosing me for this... I'm really flattered! Smiley

As for inspiration, it comes from my every day life.  I live a pretty simple life -- kids (if you can call 8 kids simple... I guess it's all relative!), school, housework, crafting, sewing.  That's pretty much it.  My kids inspire me.  Nature inspires me with her colors and textures and seasons.  Housework inspires me -- I like to find ways to make jobs easier, with eco-friendly materials.  The fabrics and fibers I find inspire me.  I never know when it will hit!

The hardest part to starting my Etsy shop was having the confidence to jump in and do it.   Once I got over that, it wasn't hard at all.

8 kids - holy you-know-what!

Here's that age-oder: What are your top 3 marketing and/or promotion tools/resources/techniques? That is, if you can pin them down.

1. For me, listing and renewing items was a great way to get my items noticed.... But Etsy recently changed its method of uploading new/relisted items (in batches) so I'll have to rely more on other promotional means now. 
2. I also belong to an Etsy street team: Etsy Texas Crafters.  I joined soon after opening my shop, and the members are super-supportive, and helped me promote my shop, make friends (and many are my best customers!), find resources and offer advice.   
3. I have a blog, but I'm not sure how much that plays into people finding my shop.  I blog about Etsy finds, crafty friends, tutorials I've tried, and share some tutorials I've made.  I leave comments on blogs I like, and many times they come back to mine.  Some people swear by this as a promotional tool, but I don't really know.  I just like reading crafty blogs.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

arimethia
The likes of you

Look out, Portland. I'm so indie.

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009 10:48:50 AM »

What is your best advice for organization of your time/supplies/shop?

(Its seems like there are no hours in the day with a single 9 month-old, I can't imagine how you do it!)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009 12:55:13 PM »

What is your best advice for organization of your time/supplies/shop?

(Its seems like there are no hours in the day with a single 9 month-old, I can't imagine how you do it!)

Time. . . .    Honestly, it probably IS harder with one baby.  I have two teen daughters that spoil my little ones rotten, and the little kids also keep each other occupied and entertained.  Also, I'm a night-owl, and get the bulk of my work done at night when the children are all asleep.  In the afternoons after school, I work on packaging, admin-type stuff, shipping, and some sewing, and the kids have their cherished free time. 

So, my advice is to squeeze in time whenever your schedule allows.  When your little one naps, grab a few minutes of crafting, listing, answering convos, whatever.  It also helps if you have your stuff organized to where you can grab it when you need it.....

Supplies & shop. . . .  
**Claim your own spot if at all possible.  I'd love to have my own studio some day, but for now, I claimed a corner of our classroom.  I have to keep the not-baby-safe stuff out of reach or put up in a closet.  My table and sewing machine are on the left (not in the photo), so everything is right within reach.

**Group like-items together, and if possible, within reach.  This way, you can work on your shop a few minutes, or a few hours, at a time, and your supplies are right there ready for you. 
Shipping stuff all together:

Herbal stuff together:

Fabrics organized:

**Safe entertainment for baby.  The little ones have a basket of toys I keep in there, so that keeps them happy while I work, and I can keep my eye on them, too.

And organization doesn't have to be expensive.  99% of all my shelves, craft boxes, drawers, etc. were picked up at the thrift store for a few bucks.

Hope that helps!  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

arimethia
The likes of you

Look out, Portland. I'm so indie.

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009 01:54:52 PM »

Wow, your space is beautiful!

I have plans for a studio/guest room but right now we're just struggling to get settled and pay rent on time. Thank you for the photos and tips! They totally help. I really should consolidate all my stuff to my corner of the dining room in the meantime.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungrrl
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009 09:43:52 AM »

The interview is up!

https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=294245.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Clothespin Frame
Say "Cheese(burger)!"
Meal Prep Monday: Crockpot White Chili with Chicken

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...