A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,452
Currently Running With Scissors:
164 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Felted slippers and my new yarn swift  (Read 3433 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

frillyfun
Check-out my web site!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 13, 2005 04:33:37 PM »

I never tried felting, and the info out there for crocheters is pretty scarce (free info at any rate), but I thought I would try my hand at it and it's so much fun!  I was a bit worried about getting them to fit properly but it turns out that felted objects are more forgiving than standard crochet items...you just stop the washingn machine when they fit!  I've never made a regular crochet pair of slippers that I like, but the felted ones are awesome and super cozy.  My husband asked me for a pair, and I also made one for my sister this weekend (they're pretty quick to make).  I tried a few different yarns but setteled on Bear Farm Yarn because it felts so beautifully and it's produced at a farm just down the road from me.  It comes in hanks that have to be made into balls...so my wonderful husband made me this super cool yarn swift.  He's normally a computer geek so it was really cool to see him actually make something.

Here's the pic:

These are the slippers.  The normal ones are mine, and the stripey ones are for my sister:

To make the stripes in the striped slippers I used the random stripe generator on this site:
http://www.kissyourshadow.com/stripe_maker.php

Happy crafting!
Karen
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010 01:15:15 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Learn to read 2-3 times faster!  www.speedyourread.com
cliodna00
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005 05:49:03 PM »

Those are adorable!  I love the stripes!!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I was created free, born free, and live free..." -Haec Vir
PimpernelSmith
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005 07:07:03 AM »

Cool!  With all the stuff my grandma taught me, the idea of felting crochet never came up.

Did you use 100% wool or a blend?

Where'd you find the pattern?

And last but not least: did you felt by hand or use a machine?  (I'm about to felt my first piece of knitting, but have been sitting on it for a week because the directions are for a machine and I do not have one in my dwelling...)
 Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
frillyfun
Check-out my web site!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005 03:46:39 PM »

Thanks for all the positive comments.  I just started crocheting a little after Christmas so it feels good to be able to make something that I can wear or make for others.  I used 100% wool yarn, but I found a post on the knitting board that says it should be at least 60% animal fiber...cotton and acrylic dont' work for felting/fulling.  I looked around at some of the patterns, and ended up just making one up.  It was pretty easy....the slippers are just a rectangle of crochet fabric, folded in half gathered at the toe, and seamed at the top to about halfway and then seamed up the back.  I went and worked in a few rows for the cuff, and the felting took care of the rest of the shaping.  I did a test swatch to see what size hook and stitch to use, and also to see how much the yarn shrinks when felted and then just did the math to make them the right size.

I did use the washing machine to do the shrinking.  It took about 40 min to shrink down to where I needed it to be.  I would imagine that you could do it by hand and it's not going to hurt to try...if you get tired of beating it around in the sink just let it dry until you can get to a washer (I did that with another project and it worked out just fine). 

Good luck with your kniting project and don't forget to post when you're done...I can't wait to see it!
Karen 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Learn to read 2-3 times faster!  www.speedyourread.com
BleuKitten
Semi-crafty cat

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005 08:22:38 PM »

I love the striped one, they are both cute. Felting is addictive, it's too fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikkicola
Coley Moley

I'm creative... don't expect me to be tidy too!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005 08:27:34 PM »

WOW THOSE SLIPPERS ARE SO CUTE!!!!
sorry i'm a little hyper today but i LOVE them.
especially the striped one.

*cole*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Lorraine, my density has popped me to you."
"Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the earth's gravitational pull?"
PixieSkull
Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005 11:59:37 PM »

Ooh! Great idea! I've been turned off by crocheted socks as ther holes aren't so warm from me, but it looks easier to felt them anyways (and better than spending $30 every two months for boyfriend's warm slippers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Intoxication Station
Tute Tuesday: Little Bunny Rabbit Toy
Hanging Around

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...