A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 315,260
Currently Running With Scissors:
237 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Little Leaf Pattern Frustration  (Read 943 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

nemka

Tell Guu your problems. Guu will buy you a drink.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 13, 2005 03:18:14 PM »

http://members.shaw.ca/siviaharding/leaf.html <--The pattern in question.

Somehow, I can't get this to work.  The pattern calls to cast on 47 stitches, which I did.  But once I come to the leaf pattern itself (as opposed to the 7 starting edging rows) I find myself lacking stitches.

On the second row of the pattern, I'm left with one stitch left, when I have "ssk, k1" left in the pattern.  On the fourth row, I have two stitches left instead of three.

Do you think think that the Row 7 instructions apply to the leaf pattern itself?  (All right side rows, it says to slip one stitch purlwise, knit 2, work the pattern across, and then knit 3.)  I'm sort of perplexed by these directions.

Anyone wiser and more experienced in reading patterns care to assist me?

Much thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005 08:49:11 PM »

Ok, there are 2 little problems here.
1) yes, the Row 7 (and 6) instructions do apply to the leaf lace pattern itself.  You're maintaining a garter stitch border with a chain selvedge on one side (that slipped stitch at the beginning of row 7 - it seems really odd to me that you only slip the first stitch of the RS rows.  Here's the extra odd part - row 6 is all the *odd* numbered rows of the lace patttern and row 7 is all the *even* numbered rows!
2)see the non-shaded column of boxes on the right side of the lace chart - that means that it is an 8 stitch repeat +1 stitch at the very (end of WS rows/beginning of RS rows)

So, you do 5 rows of garter stitch.
Then (WS) k3, work lace pattern (which is all purl) to last 3 sts, k3
Then (RS)sl1, k2, work lace pattern (k1, *k2tog, yo, k3, yo,ssk,k1, rep from*) to last 3 sts, k3
etc.

There should be 5 repetitions of the lace pattern (which you can kina see in the pic) 3border +1 +8*5 + 3 border = 47.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
nemka

Tell Guu your problems. Guu will buy you a drink.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005 05:50:56 PM »

Thank you, thank you!

I tinkered around with the pattern last night, and almost had it figured out.  I truly think the majority of my problems knitting stem from confusing pattern instructions.

A question, if I may: what would be the purpose of a chain selvedge on one side of the pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005 06:10:25 PM »

A question, if I may: what would be the purpose of a chain selvedge on one side of the pattern?

beats me.  I think it's probably an error.  I'd either slip the first stitch of EVERY row, or knit the first stitch of EVERY row.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mini Book Jewelry
Let's Spool Up!
Meatless Monday: Spinach and Cheese Gnocchi Bake

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...