A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 313,579
Currently Running With Scissors:
197 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tissue Flowers - Please help!  (Read 3430 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

h-elaine
« on: December 31, 2008 05:50:16 PM »

http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/portal/site/ww/menuitem.d9cc37f780ffa93df8aeef105173a0a0/?vgnextoid=efb9608f8532f010VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default

I found that post about tissue pom poms, and I really like the small napkin holder ones, plus some lady left a comment that she added wire to put them into a vase, which I think sounds really cute. 

So I wanted to try them out, but I didn't want to buy all the stuff and then have them wind up being weird looking, so I found some tissue from Christmas and some twist-ties, so this is obviously sort of sloppy looking, but... I think it's kind of cute, and it could be better with more colors (my wedding colors are pale blue and pale yellow) and floral wire, but I need a second opinion. 

This is the side view:

This is the view from the top:

What do you think?
Thank you! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oohmybees
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008 06:10:10 PM »

I think it will look great, and now that you have done a trial run I definitely think you should get you colors and give it a try.  You could also tint white tissue using watercolors on the tips of the petals for a more delicate look.
When I was in grade school we used to make these with Kleenex tissues just tearing the edges and carefully peeling apart all the individual layers, they were very soft and delicate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScotSkipper402
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008 06:27:41 PM »

Charming! from the side, it looks "real" Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
vwluvervw
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008 06:50:05 PM »

Looks great.... it's all a matter of how much tissue you use and how well you fluff. I used to make these things all of the time when I was younger.... try it with more...less... experiment!  Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abssinth
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008 07:29:23 PM »

Looks good!  Ultimately, practice will make better (I firmly disagree with the traditional "perfect" - there's always room for improvement, right?)  As for the supplies to keep practicing, check around to the bigger stores in your area that may have done gift wrapping for the holidays.  They may have extra tissue paper or wrapping paper laying around that's just going to end up in the trash that they'd be willing to give up for "craft projects".  Same goes for any printing companies that might be in your area....  Or check party supply places like The Paper Factory - seasonal stuff should be on sale really cheap!  If you do find a printer that's got lighter weight papers (ask for 16# or lighter) that they'd be willing to let go free or really cheap, try different weights.  You may find a heavier one that you like better.  (Sorry, I'm a printer, and my ink is oozing.  LOL)   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
julietalpha
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009 03:31:16 PM »

That's really pretty!  I definitely think further experimentation is warranted.  It's very delicate and feminine, which would go beautifully with pastel colours.  I'd consider keeping the white in as well if you're having white elsewhere.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So much to make, so little time!
ErnestoIsCool
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009 01:37:56 PM »

Believe it or not, I made those same paper flowers for my wedding. I took a bunch of sticks, put a "stick ball" (it's a circular shape made out of sticks) on top, and wrapped the wire from the flowers around the ball and made a topiary out of it.

I think they would also look really cute with those "feelers" in the middle. I don't know what they're called, but they look like a tiny pearl on the end of a wire. Not super long feelers, just enough to "peek-a-boo".
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yellowbumblebee
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009 01:22:13 PM »

I did these for my wedding and I loved the way it looked. It's totally up to you if you want to do a mixture of colors or stick with one. I think it would look great either way Smiley

I used mine as toppers for my favor boxes and they really looked nice all lined up together. But definitely give yourself a head start.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Synne

mack. cute but feisty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009 06:43:24 AM »

The more I look at tissue flower projects the more I want to make some for my reception...the white ones are lovely, h-elaine, and your favor boxes are GORGEOUS, yellowbumblebee! They look just like my favorite peonies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knit vs. Crochet - my crafty self: http://crochety.blogspot.com/
wist and swap info
mack. where my love of craft and love of food collide: http://mack.etsy.com
troll1984
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009 02:19:55 PM »

I got married in my in-laws back yard. We chose August and my MIL was disappointed that her rose bush wouldn't be in bloom for the wedding. She made a bunch of these and tied them to the rose bush. People thought they were real  because the bush wasn't right beside where people were sitting. One of my guests even made a funny pic of him "smelling" the rose. Everyone loved them.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2009 02:26:05 PM by troll1984 - Reason: Added photos. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ashley's Wife, Austin and Allie's Mommy!

My Photography, My Blog, My Shop, My Wist
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
February 21, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Ribbon Scarf
The Birds and The Bees

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...