A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
127 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Empty baby food jars  (Read 16897 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
frog girl
« on: December 27, 2008 07:38:16 PM »

I have a lot of empty baby food jars and was wondering what I can make with them?

Any ideas?

TIA!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hardyjenni
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008 02:26:21 AM »

somewhere on Martha Stewart's website is a guide for making mini snowglobes out of baby food jars.  I don't remember where on the site it is, but I'm sure you can search on the site and find it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I try to be crafty in the kitchen! Visit my budget cooking page!

http://tinyurl.com/STLmeals
PepsiTwist
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009 12:42:39 AM »

lol i was gonna say snowglobes too!!

You could also use them to put homemade bath salts in, with a little bow, great for little gifts. All you go is get a bag of epsoms salt, some essential oil in your fav scent and some food coloring if you like. Then just stick in a plastic baggie and mix it up and pour in the jars. You can leave them white, color them and do jars with solids or you could even layer the different colors you use, you could even vary your scents too (but if you put them in the same jar make sure they smell right together)

You could also use them for storage of things like beads and buttons.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Makeme1
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009 03:52:50 PM »

Speaking of storage, PepsiTwist, my Dad used baby jars just for the storage of small items.

When I was growing up, my Dad had a workshop in the basement.  He would take the baby jars and hang them on the ceiling filled with small brads, nails, tacks and whatever.  What he did was tack a board (I think it was a 1 x 12 piece of white pine) to the ceiling and nailed the lid of the baby jar to the board.  He would then fill the jars with whatever he needed and then would screw the jar back onto the lid on the board.  It kept them off his work bench and he could see what was in them from below!

Perhaps this idea could be incorporated into a craft work area for storing the beads and such.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Solitaire

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009 05:44:35 PM »

I've seen baby food jars turned into lighted decorations ... like a christmas tree or wreath. You clue them together and drill holes in the lids, put christmas lights in them and viola.  Like this:  http://crafts.kaboose.com/baby-food-jar-christmas-tree.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Craft, Therefore, I AM!  )O(
ammasmama

LuCkY Me, LuCkY MuD

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009 07:14:43 PM »

Speaking of storage, PepsiTwist, my Dad used baby jars just for the storage of small items.

When I was growing up, my Dad had a workshop in the basement.  He would take the baby jars and hang them on the ceiling filled with small brads, nails, tacks and whatever.  What he did was tack a board (I think it was a 1 x 12 piece of white pine) to the ceiling and nailed the lid of the baby jar to the board.  He would then fill the jars with whatever he needed and then would screw the jar back onto the lid on the board.  It kept them off his work bench and he could see what was in them from below!

Perhaps this idea could be incorporated into a craft work area for storing the beads and such.

Did you live in the house we rented before buying this one!? In our basement almost all the jars were gone, but the rusty lids were still nailed up near the workbench and over in another section of basement. one were still attached and full of rusty screws.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Makeme1
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009 12:57:08 PM »

Did you live in the house we rented before buying this one!? In our basement almost all the jars were gone, but the rusty lids were still nailed up near the workbench and over in another section of basement. one were still attached and full of rusty screws.

Hey ammasmama!

Don't think it's the same place!  My Mom & Dad sold their house in 1979 in New Jersey.
As far as I know, the family who bought it moved in right away!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mere
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009 03:25:48 AM »

I know Im so late posting reply, but I just had my 4 yr old b-day party and we made snow globes with the baby food jars.  I found little plastic pirates for the boys & little plastic cinderella's for the girls.  I bought bunch of different colored glitter and baby oil.  let the kids pick out their glitter colors.  I hot glued the figurines to the lids (make sure the jar with fit around your figurine)  then after kids put glitter in the jars, I screwed the lids on & put a bit of hot glue around it just to make sure its sealed well.  This way, the kids were busy for a bit & they made their own party favor.  It was a HIT!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What would Flo do?
Gypsysoul_

...remember suddenlywe were thrown into the mystic

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009 11:41:14 AM »

I too love them for storage - beads, buttons, sequins, etc...

But another great use is for paint!  Example you paint your living room this awesome shade of...let's say red.  Put enough in the jar to almost fill it.  Store it with a label that says "living room" and when, inevitably, someone dings the wall or it gets scratched, or your darling pug decides to chew the wall, viola!  You have a little touch up to match perfectly! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always interested in personal swaps!  Either for crafted items or "oops" purchases. PM please!

ATC's yes!  Goth themes, macabre, rainbows, dark romance, etc -NO TWILIGHT - vampires DO NOT 'glisten'

Will knit for tattoos, no seriously, I will!
meepmopmoop
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009 03:45:57 PM »

You can use modge podge (sp?) an tissue paper to make tea light containers
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...