A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 313,735
Currently Running With Scissors:
177 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: too-big vintage pattern?  (Read 661 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
« on: December 21, 2008 06:25:36 PM »

So the other day i bought a really nice 60's dress pattern at the thrift store, but it's one size too big (and now i have realised the joy in multi size patterns).

I'm not sure if I should make the seam allowance from the actual pattern, disregarding the included seam allowance, if that will make it proportionally smaller (if you get what I mean)... what do you guys do when the sizing's too big?

Help appreciated thanks Cheesy

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008 08:15:08 AM »

First question:  Do you have the finished measurements from the pattern size, or just the measurements on the envelope?  My reason for asking is that pattern ease then is not the big giant monster that it is now.  If it's only one size difference, you may find that it fits you as sewn, if you're used to contemporary patterns.  Otherwise, your best bet would be to make a quick mock-up to see how the dress fits you, and where you need to take it in.

Good luck!

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008 10:37:30 AM »

Ditto the previous advice! Vintage patterns are drafted to fit very close to the body. Another difference is that the larger sizes are larger ALL OVER, modern patterns do a bit of a better job at fitting larger sizes realistically. I would make a quick muslin and use that to figure out where you need to do resizing.

I love everything vintage and
I love to make aprons, totes and kitschy kitchen things!
Practically Vintage, my Etsy store
My Vintage Charm blog
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008 12:10:38 AM »

i have the finished measurements to fit body measurements from the pattern envelope (1 size too big), but i didnt realise vintage patterns tend to be tight fitting (and it's one of those slim-cut panel dresses, so i suppose it should be OK.)
thanks lots guys! Cheesy

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
March 21, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Corgi Puppy!
Bunny Wannabes

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...