A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,626
Currently Running With Scissors:
216 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how did you know???  (Read 1929 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

flyhunnie7

too cool for the room

View Profile WWW
« on: February 16, 2004 08:14:08 PM »

I'm thinking about starting this whole online business thing, even though I am as busy as anything, and I probably shouldn't.

Anyway,  I was wondering how did you come to the decision to start your business?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leftist.feminist.activist.journalist.
lexscreations
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004 09:32:01 PM »

Well, speaking for myself, under my own very unusual circumstances...I realized that I had nothing to lose!  Wink

I have a chronic illness and was forced to drop out of law school in my very first semester.  Rather than get depressed over it, I decided to make jewelry.  To my surprise, people started buying it.  Not exactly in droves, but enough to get the gears turning.

At this point I have most of the legal/tax stuff taken care of and need to write up an actual "business plan".  I've finally started to make a real effort to keep track of my sales and my expenses, to make sure I'm at least breaking even.

And meanwhile, my parents are paying my rent and bills (damn am I lucky to have parents who CAN do that), while I am busy trying to get better and making jewelry.   So the finances are taken care of (sort of), I live with my boyfriend but have no kids or other such responsibilities...If I try this now, and I fail, there isn't much harm that can come of it.  Smiley  And that's why I'm doing it!!!

Might as well give it a shot...It would be SO nice if I could actually figure out how to make a living doing something I love.  (And while the law is interesting, I have no illusions that I would love being a lawyer!  LOL)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cardsforcaring

Volunteering through cardmaking

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004 10:02:16 PM »

I also have a chronic skin disorder and, although I did work for 12 years before going back to school, I volunteered with an organization for a long time. I'm burned out from it but still love volunteer work. I've also done scrapbooking and card making for about 6 years now, so combining the 2 just seemed natural.

I am certainly planning that most of my income from this will be generated off-line, but since I'm a technogeek I feel strongly about having a good online presence in order to promote and point people toward for quick information.

So, I invested some money into this and am just hoping that it will be self sustaining.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kim
Cards for Caring
www.cardsforcaring.org
Danwei
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004 01:52:40 AM »

I love earrings and I kept thinking up my own designs and then started to make them. I made so many that I couldn't be able to use them all myself so I figured I might as well open a little online shop and try to sell some.

And that's the story!

I've invested pretty much on buying supplies and such, haven't sold enough to make it up for it yet. Although I don't see that as something vital.
I also feel like I'm busy and stressed all the time, but I'm still doing it because I enjoy it Wink

Hope you'll decide to start your own business and good luck with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amanelle
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004 09:42:19 AM »

I'm in the process of getting mine up. For me it's a way to *hopefully* make a little money. I went out of work on medical leave and don't get disability. I really like to make things and craft so it just kind of evolved. I really like making jewelry, but hardly ever wear and there is only so much you can give away. More than anything it's a way to stay busy.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

boygirlparty

hi, i'm susie ghahremani / boygirlparty.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004 01:27:46 PM »

i participated in local craft sales once a year for awhile until i felt confident that the effort put into making and maintaining a little online shoppe would be totally worth the effort!

everytime i get an order, i feel giddy that someone out there loves something i made enough to buy it.
there really isn't a whole lot to lose, the beauty of the whole online store thing is that you don't put a lot of capital into it to get it running, so if it totally flops, there isn't any significant loss.

yay online!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my site: boygirlparty.com: boygirlparty.com
http://shop.boygirlparty.com: the shop at boygirlparty.com
etsy instagram
khill

I got an itchin' to do some craftin' MOJO-JOJO!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004 01:58:04 PM »

i'm in the same boat as you funnygirl. i'm in the process of getting my website up. doing everything myself and so the whole website design thing is slowing me down. just perservere because the great thing about it is that you have nothing to loose except the time you've invested. which when you think about it, isn't a loss at all b/c you'll be spending it doing something you love and being productive. rock on crafty entrepreneur's! besides, it's a great  creative outlet and just might generate income to keep on crafting!

Smiley
k.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

k.hill

Urban Eclectic
www.urbaneclectic.net

Eclectic Design Studio
www.eclecticdesignstudio.net
cardsforcaring

Volunteering through cardmaking

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2004 04:23:31 AM »

I've noticed that a lot of you are having problems with getting your websites up and running. I use a program called WebEditor, made by Namo. I think it was $79 with a $40 rebate. It's really easy to use, and it also teaches you HTML as you can flip between looking at the layout and then looking at the HTML code.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kim
Cards for Caring
www.cardsforcaring.org
lexscreations
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2004 04:50:21 PM »

I've noticed that a lot of you are having problems with getting your websites up and running. I use a program called WebEditor, made by Namo. I think it was $79 with a $40 rebate. It's really easy to use, and it also teaches you HTML as you can flip between looking at the layout and then looking at the HTML code.

Netscape Composer is good for that, too--and it's free.  Smiley

It does mess with certain things, though.  Like, it won't get my webring code right, and screws up my counters.  But those are easily fixable because you can get the html codes and just paste them into the text file containing your pages' html after you've used Composer to edit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
april_cocaine
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2004 02:05:53 AM »

i started selling becasue simply i love to make things, and i need the money to carry on making things. I only want to break even, i don't have to live on the money i gain from my site.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clipboard Photo Display
Party with a Pumpkin Challenge Winner: Floral Pumpkin Centerpiece
November 15, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...