A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,450
Currently Running With Scissors:
203 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DVD Coasters - Easy fun cheap stocking stuffers for your movie lovers!  (Read 11923 times)
Tags for this thread: movie_monsters , coaster  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

littlebiskit

no cat anywhere ever gave anyone a straight answer

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 15, 2008 06:38:36 AM »

So I made this for my 12 Days of Christmas partner, and she's opened now, so I figured I would post.

She likes movies, and so I thought I would make her a set of coasters!  I used DVDs I picked up at the dollar store for this project.  Ideally the next time I do this I will just be reusing/recyling DVDs that no longer work. 

I used cork on the bottoms of them, and I used the non-skid plastic like quilters use on their rulers over the top of the DVDs to make them a little more glass-friendly.

Also the next time I do this, I will be cutting out the center holes so that I can use a CD spindle as a coaster holder. 

What do you think? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am walking 12 hours straight for my local Relay For Life event.  [a href="http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY11MW?px=16690269&pg=personal&fr_id=30095"]Please support me![/a href] I'm only 40% to my goal! =0(
midnight7649
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008 07:09:31 AM »

I think it's a great idea! If I can find some cheap DVD's I might try them as a quick gift!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

violetta27
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008 07:21:07 AM »

What a great idea.  And I love the idea of using the CD spindle as a coaster holder.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008 07:37:40 AM »

What a wonderful idea!  I wish I had thought of this before I threw away all those unwanted/scratched DVDs last month!  Definitely bookmarking this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlebiskit

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008 07:43:53 AM »

What a wonderful idea!  I wish I had thought of this before I threw away all those unwanted/scratched DVDs last month!  Definitely bookmarking this!

Awww!  Thank you!  I'm fairly certain I've never been bookmarked before!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am walking 12 hours straight for my local Relay For Life event.  [a href="http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY11MW?px=16690269&pg=personal&fr_id=30095"]Please support me![/a href] I'm only 40% to my goal! =0(
dancindharma
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008 08:04:51 AM »

This is great!  I wanted to make a few gifts for my husband this year and we have a bunch of really scratched up dvds that I didn't know what to do with!  I think he'd like this a lot...and the dollar store dvds will be a fantastic addition since I don't have a whole lot already that I can use.  Neat idea!  Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenn Smiley

My friend, Emily, is giving away free lesson on how to make a boutique girls hair bow.  Get your free hairbow lesson at http://www.LearnHowToMakeBows.com

Submit Your Craft Video and Win $300.00
http://www.CraftsContest.weebly.com
littlebiskit

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008 08:12:24 AM »

This is great!  I wanted to make a few gifts for my husband this year and we have a bunch of really scratched up dvds that I didn't know what to do with!  I think he'd like this a lot...and the dollar store dvds will be a fantastic addition since I don't have a whole lot already that I can use.  Neat idea!  Thanks!!

I'm glad it'll be useful! 

To be honest, when I bought the DVD's at the dollar store I was afraid the discs themselves would be pretty plain, so I was fully prepared to have to print my own CD lables for them and make up my own movie titles. 

So that's another idea for y'all!  =0)

Luckily I was pleasantly surprised that the discs were all pretty visually interesting on these.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

betty_death
(it's pronounced "deeth")

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008 03:17:42 PM »

This is one of the coolest ideas I've ever seen! You're amazing -- and using a spindle for a coaster holder is genius. Really great, I'm totally making these! Thanks for sharing Smiley

I'm not familiar with the non-skid plastic you mention -- does it have a brand name?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlebiskit

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008 06:07:56 PM »

I found it sold by the roll at Joann's by the quilting notions.  I don't have the package anymore, sorry.   Sad  It's kind of the same feel as... do you remember color-forms?  Kind of like that.

I'll do some surfing to see if I can find more info.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sassenach_Mel

Weasley is my King

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008 03:48:22 AM »

LOVE IT!!   Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin  I'm also bookmarking it for my own "idea book". Smiley How did you cut the cork? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for those rubberband bracelets for causes! PM me!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Little Bunny Rabbit Toy
Hanging Around
Meatless Monday: Cinnamon Pecan Scones

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...