A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
218 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ant related gardening questions!  (Read 1234 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
midnight_mail

Keep calm & carry rum.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 10, 2008 10:51:51 PM »

Okay so recently I found most of the potted plants on my patio have ants crawling all over the pot and bottom part of the plants. I had a sneaky suspicion that there were ants nests somewhere and lo-and-behold when i repotted some plants yesterday all of them had ants nests in the soil and among the roots! totally gave me the chills when hundreds of ants came outta nowhere with a gazillion ant eggs. so yeah how damaging are they to plants and should i worry about it or not? please advise. thanks  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Save a broom, ride a Quidditch player.

http://wists.com/midnight_mail
crappiefisher
Crappiefisher

I just LOVE craftster!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009 11:59:06 AM »

Your plants should be ok, but you should get rid of the ants to protect your home and possible the enjoyment of your patio or area where you found the ants.
First, you've disrupted their mound, so the ants may move on to a new place. Second, you could be Borax down on the mounds...if you don't have any small children or pets that will play in the dirt once you put the Borax down. You don't need much. Just a dusting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't you let nobody tell you that you can't do nothin. You can do whatevah you put your mind to!" - wise words from my Granny when I was 5 years old.
stufie

I love cuppycakes!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009 07:50:39 PM »

Ants don't often hurt plants...although I agree, you should get rid of them. We had ants in the house this summer and I used two products: one was a honey-like syrup that I poured small drops of. This attracts the ants...they eat it and then a) get caught in it and b) take it back to their queen and it kills her. The second product, that made me feel more protected, was diatomaceous earth. Most greenhouses or hardware stores sell it. It is a light bottle of powder that you shake up and then sprinkle along affected areas. As wikipedia says, "The fine powder absorbs lipids from the waxy outer layer of insects' exoskeletons, causing them to dehydrate. Arthropods die as a result of the water pressure deficiency, based on Fick's law of diffusion. This also works against gastropods and is commonly employed in gardening to defeat slugs."

I would suggest either of these products!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love will make your eyes clear

http://stufie.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...