A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
244 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: first foray into fair isle knitting, skulls and questions abound!  (Read 843 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
xphronvistle

i wanna personal swap with you! :P

View Profile WWW
« on: December 10, 2008 09:06:00 AM »

here is my pitiful attempt at fair isle, i was very suprised on how easy it really was. Although...I did only use two colors....and.....my boarder failed big time...but i was still pretty happy with it.

my question is....
do you line fair isle items? so they dont snag or something? whats the best kind of book to teach you or online tute? and is fair isle better than intarsia? I have a book on intarsia but it hasnt been helpful in the least. Undecided

also what kind of items(projects etc) are the best for using fair isle? I noticed that sweaters, hats and gloves are the most common....hmmm....I love tiny projects but i am a long time crocheter and have only recently gotten into knitting as a major pastime  Grin

i wanted to make a skull scarf but the fair isle seems too messy on the backside and also if doubled UBER thick! sadly i dont know anyone that knits and I am self taught so I thought I would ask the pros  here!

thanks guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Obsessed with Pirates since 1994
Geek Love
Suicidal Romantic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008 09:07:28 AM »

I love the colors you used.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Burning every bridge that I cross to find some beautiful place to get lost.

My Wist!
xphronvistle

i wanna personal swap with you! :P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008 09:09:37 AM »

I love the colors you used.
thanks, i just used some scrap yarn i had, the turquoise is a vintage yarn i got from an elderly neighbor lady who was surprised that someone "like me" was into knitting/crochet...LOL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Obsessed with Pirates since 1994
miamaria
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008 09:49:53 AM »

I love the colors too!

I haven't lined most of my fair isle knitting, but I did try a project where I knit in the round as a tube and sewed it together to make a flat square.

You may get snagging if you have long threads at the back, which a reason to choose intarsia if you have long stretches of one color. If you use wool, the threads will felt a bit with wearing so it's less of a problem.

Fair isle is good for anything that has a clearly defined inside...which I guess is why you see so many hats, mittens and sweaters? You can do scarves, towels etc, but you have to make them double or use some kind of lining, unless you don't mind the back showing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wendie
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008 04:54:53 PM »

Typically intarsia is used when the color is in one spot, think basic shapes, circles, squares and such.  Instead of carrying the color a new ball is used for each segment of a color.  Fair Isle is used when the colors intermingle more, think traditional Norwegian Sweaters.  Miamaria was right that fair isle isnt normally used when the back side of somthing will show.  Double knitting is a good way to get the fair isle look without the backside mess.  I haven't tryed it yet, the instructions look a little daunting but I've been told that once you get it figured out its pretty simple.  I'm self taught as well so I just do a lot of reading until I get things figured out. 

BTW very good job on the skulls.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitty_kitty
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008 09:00:49 AM »

If you are feeling adventurous, you could try doing this pattern in double knit.  That way you wouldn't have a wrong side, or at least no wrong side that could be seen because you would have two right sides facing out.  The wrong sides (with all the strands) would be facing each other inside the garment.  I have only made one double knit project and it did go S-L-O-W-L-Y but it was fun and I was quite proud of myself when I was done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...