A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
210 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Can superwash wool be shrunk?  (Read 559 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
miamaria
« on: December 10, 2008 05:25:55 AM »

I made a hat from superwash wool. Of course I should have washed a swatch first, but really, who does that for a hat? It fit me perfectly unblocked, but as soon as it touched water it just grew and grew and grew. Now it comes down to my nose, to the great entertainment of my boyfriend. I'm just sad to have ruined the hat.

It could be because of the lace pattern, but I don't think that's all, because I've blocked lace before without seeing anything this dramatic. Is there any way to shrink it back to its original state? Will it be better once it dries completely (it's still a little damp)...or should I try putting it in the dryer? And is this normal behavior for superwash yarn?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008 08:46:10 AM »

Super wash shouldn't really be blocked. Just put it back in the wash and then into the dryer. Not sure if that'll help it, but when something is machine washable, it's supposed to be machine dried too, or it stretches. It's not ruined if it doesn't go back to the original size; you can undo it about halfway and make it a little shorter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
miamaria
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008 09:40:57 AM »

Thanks for the tips, that's a great suggestion about undoing it partway. I'm going to try the dryer first, though!

Edit: Drying it did the trick and it's back to a nice, wearable size without the gaping holes. Yay!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008 02:21:09 PM by miamaria » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...