A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,453
Currently Running With Scissors:
203 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: me vs. the blue blue sweater  (Read 3958 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« on: December 07, 2008 08:52:35 AM »

In my ongoing battle to keep the wee ones warm this winter a felted blue sweater is the latest casualty.  The sweater was a ladies S gap turtle neck.  I'm not sure if it had been felted originally or accidently, but I acquired it in a give away bag from one of my local thrift stores (they were going to send a few large garbage bags to the landfill and I took them instead - I have gotten lots of useful material this way).  The sweater also happens to be the same blue as my house  Smiley

So, this is what my landfill sweater made a few days ago:

Arm warmers for the monkey.  She loves them because they are sportacus-esque.

footed trousers for the birdie.  He wears them outside for the most part overtop of his regular pants to keep his legs and feet warm.  The felted wool is very warm.  (I've made this ottobre pattern before from another sweater http://vegbee-peripheralvision.blogspot.com/2008/11/footed-pants-from-sweater.html and I like it very much.  If anyone wants, I can find which issue the pattern is from)

super warm mittens for the monkey

The mittens are lined with faux fleece.  I used the same method to make them as here: http://indietutes.blogspot.com/2008/11/quick-quick-mittens.html

and my sewing chair got some feet because it was scratching my floor:

I still have a few scraps that are going to make their way into ornaments for solistice (including a little house ornament as a gift for the monkey).  I feel ridiculously happy that the source for my kids' warmth this year comes from something that was supposed to go to the dump.  I'm starting to feel like maybe I shouldn't be buying fabric at all since there is so much of it already out there being wasted.  Something to think about anyway.

As always, questions and comments welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

I've got a smile on my face & trees all around me

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008 09:27:13 AM »

Those are all great.  I love that they came from fabric destined for the landfill (if only scavenging at the dump was still legal...)

About the felted footie pants what issue are they from, and do you feel they are adequate baby warmth (I'm askign thinking of Ottawa in the winter), and how young a baby would they be suitable for?

I need to make some baby gifts, and you have given me a great idea. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

The only PhD I earned stands for Pretty Happy Dropout! Now starting new adventures!
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008 09:58:05 AM »

thanks kjlutz.  The pants are from ottobre kids autumn 3/05 (which also has the cloth diapers).  The felt is good for days hovering around the zero mark, particularly if they are wet (felt repells water).  They are also nice for the home to car transition.  Using regular sweaters or fleece, the footed pants are great too for inside, since socks on babies are a joke. 

Btw, some dumps are legal to scavenge at in my area, particularly small town dumps run by cities (and not private corps, like they are in my town), and rural sites too.  And dumpsters are completely legal to dive everywhere in canada - you should check clothing store dumpsters, especially the large department type ones like winners and zellers.  You would be blown away by the clothing thrown away.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amybarnett
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008 10:13:53 AM »

Three things:

a) Your little Monkey is perhaps the most entertaining child I have ever seen on Craftster! I can always recognize her on the front page thumbnail pic. (and I also am completely hypnotized by Sportacus as well)

b) that is the best idea! I love that you rescued a doomed sweater. I am going to start doing that now....

c) did you felt the mittens more? they look so cozy...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

I've got a smile on my face & trees all around me

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008 10:27:26 AM »

thanks kjlutz.  The pants are from ottobre kids autumn 3/05 (which also has the cloth diapers).  The felt is good for days hovering around the zero mark, particularly if they are wet (felt repells water).  They are also nice for the home to car transition.  Using regular sweaters or fleece, the footed pants are great too for inside, since socks on babies are a joke. 

Btw, some dumps are legal to scavenge at in my area, particularly small town dumps run by cities (and not private corps, like they are in my town), and rural sites too.  And dumpsters are completely legal to dive everywhere in canada - you should check clothing store dumpsters, especially the large department type ones like winners and zellers.  You would be blown away by the clothing thrown away.

Thanks Vegbee--I have that issue of Ottobre, so I think I might make some for friends who are expecting shortly.

Thanks for the dumpster diving and dump tips, I may have to try after the snow melts. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

The only PhD I earned stands for Pretty Happy Dropout! Now starting new adventures!
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008 11:21:13 AM »

amybarnett, the mittens are just the felt and faux sheep fleece.  They are very warm.  And I think the monkey is entertaining too.  She's a nut.

Kjlutz, happy sewing (and diving too  Smiley)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hippiejo74
Life, liberty and the pursuit of craftiness.

Gotta go - kids chewed thru their straps...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008 01:22:41 PM »

Grin Supremely awesome.  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come check out my etsy shop - vintage, eco-friendly and all kinds of crafty goodness Smiley
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5029774

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud."
1 Cor. 13:4
PunkyPenguin
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008 06:41:09 PM »

I have been inspired so many times by reading your posts.  I love the footed pants and will have to fashion something like that for my little guy.  Bonus, that all that was made from a saved sweater.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Give me a box of kittens, stat!
Gumption

"Sing an outlaw love song." -Social Distortion

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008 04:23:05 PM »

I'm always inspired by your creativity, Vegbee!  I think you won the tussle with the blue sweater.  I will also have to make some very long "socks" for my little one.  She can pull them off faster than I can even get the 2nd one on!

Great work up there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Munora
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008 07:03:34 PM »

What a great find. I wish I could get my hands on some trash like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not what you know, but what you do with what you know that is important.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Portobello Mushroom Lasagna
@Home This Weekend: Intoxication Station
Tute Tuesday: Little Bunny Rabbit Toy

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...