A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,886
Currently Running With Scissors:
228 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scrapbooking Eyelets vs Grommet thing?  (Read 15014 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Aryante

Wait for it...that's right keep waiting

View Profile
« on: December 01, 2008 04:07:52 PM »

Is there an actual difference between grommets and eyelets? Or can i just use eyelets in place of grommets??
 Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dani_lou_who
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008 09:43:11 AM »

I am no expert and I don't use either, but I would say (like I say about everything) use whichever you want.
I've only tried using eyelets once at a crop, and since I don't have a tool for them, I don't ever use them. I've never used grommets before. Given the option, I would just use whichever I thought would give me the look I was going for! But I tend to break the rules about the right things to use, so I may be no help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

danilouwho. blog. flickr.
Aryante

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008 12:21:34 PM »

Well, even if you aren't an expert, I find that helpful  Smiley Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewHelpMe
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008 07:08:42 AM »

I'm way late posting here, but thought I'd comment.

I could be very wrong, but I think grommets have a metal backing piece and eyelets don't. 

I have a package of 3/16" pastel grommets I bought at Hobby Lobby.  They work just fine with my Crop-o-Dile without the little metal backing piece that came in the package. 

I agree:  use which ever you want.  They're the same thing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aryante

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008 06:22:24 PM »

So the grommets work with the Crop-o-dile?? n.n That's perfect! You both just helped me bunches!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewHelpMe
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009 06:02:02 AM »

The Crop-o-Dile works with 3/16" and 1/8" eyelets/grommets. (however, my crop-o-dile sometimes squishes the 1/8" ones--I must be squeezing too hard??).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aryante

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009 10:18:29 AM »

If eyelets and grommets are basicly the same, you can't squeeze "to hard" i think. I worked in retail at a scrapbooking store for years and i was at CHA for the first release, and i've been using it since then...hmm...I'll watch for it though n.n
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewHelpMe
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009 05:39:51 AM »

Hmmmmm....  I wonder what I'm doing wrong, then, because mine definitely squishes the 1/8" eyelets--SOMETIMES (not always--I just have to pay attention to how hard I squeeze).  I have the little dial thing on the bottom on the right side, and I'm putting the eyelet in with the post through the top of the eyelet (if that makes sense).

It's very, very frustrating, and I usually just use my any-where punch and eyelet setter to do the 1/8" ones because I don't want to damage them or ruin my project.

I still love my Crop-o-Dile, though.  I love how easily it punches through layers of stuff (even fabric!)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lylacfey
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009 06:37:19 AM »

Hmmmmm....  I wonder what I'm doing wrong, then, because mine definitely squishes the 1/8" eyelets--SOMETIMES (not always--I just have to pay attention to how hard I squeeze).  I have the little dial thing on the bottom on the right side, and I'm putting the eyelet in with the post through the top of the eyelet (if that makes sense).

It's very, very frustrating, and I usually just use my any-where punch and eyelet setter to do the 1/8" ones because I don't want to damage them or ruin my project.

I still love my Crop-o-Dile, though.  I love how easily it punches through layers of stuff (even fabric!)!

You might have it set on the wrong setting.  I was having problems too & moved the dial around till I found a good setting.  All the eyelets I have used are from different companies & they are all made of different materials even if they are the same size.  Some were squished to death & other's not squished enough. 

I love my Crop-A-Dile.  You can cut through anything even CD's & leather. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/faerydreams/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
Bewara
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009 09:18:03 AM »

When I use the 3/16 eyelet with my Crop-o-Dile the underside of the eyelet is spread out making a clean hole but has really sharp edges that could easily cut someone. Am I doing it wrong? I've tried tons of different settings and they all produce this same result! I was thinking Grommets would not do that. I need a nice folded over clean edge on both sides of the paper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I never know what I'm doing. I just fake it really well.

http://www.thehappyfunshop.com
My Wist

Craft Swaps:
Embroidery Hoopla Round 3- stitching, stitching, stitching
lylacfey
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009 09:54:41 PM »

Bewara- I know that some of the first generation Crop-A-Diles had some malfunctions. I don't know if you have a first generation.  It is been a few years so I don't recall the problems.  You can contact WeRMemory Keeprs & they will help you if it a malfunctions.

Soft eyelets always have sharp edges.  Harder eyelets make cleaner edges.  Making Memories eyelets work really well in the Crop-A-Dile.  They will not smush out like that.  I have both soft & hard eyelets.  My soft eyelets always look smushed like a tin can run over by a semi. Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/faerydreams/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
Bewara
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009 09:53:13 AM »

Awesome! I'll look for the Making Memories eyelets and give them a try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I never know what I'm doing. I just fake it really well.

http://www.thehappyfunshop.com
My Wist

Craft Swaps:
Embroidery Hoopla Round 3- stitching, stitching, stitching
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Room Divider
Tute Tuesday: Snow Dyeing
Baby, It's Cold Outside

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...