A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,453
Currently Running With Scissors:
103 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: waterproofing boots?  (Read 2299 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

brii-elzebub

Tissue papers yummy!

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2008 11:28:34 AM »

So maybe its not really a craft, but I need to know how to waterproof boots.  I need a pair for in snow and slush, and can't decide on going with big, ugly already waterproof boots, or with sleek, leather, waterproofable boots.  Can waterproofed leather be as effective?  Is there a crafty way to waterproof boots (especially without changing color or texture)? 
Thanks!

ps.  There isn't a non-craft related section to this board is there?  I can't find one.  If there isn't one, there should be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
x46
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008 03:34:30 AM »

Neet's foot oil (don't ask me what a neet is), waterproofs leather. But, it changes the colour and leaves a bit of an oily finish.  Or there's something called dubbin.  It's about the same.  Both from an old fashioned shoe maker, usually.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pizzacake
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010 02:30:08 AM »

Nikwax makes a waterproofing finish for several types of footwear, including leather.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010 09:10:52 PM »

Spray-on white grease is the least-staining method I've seen. One of the most common brands is Jiffy Lube. You will need to clean and re-spray your boots on a regular basis just to keep the road salt from eating the leather.

If you buy black leather boots that have a hard or shiny finish, you could use mink oil. It's what I've used on my steel toe work boots. You just literally soak the leather and let it dry for a few days. The oil penetrates all the seams and the pores of the leather itself. I gotta warn ya, though, it really stinks when it's fresh Tongue

One last thing, beware suede boots! They're lovely (I have a pair myself), but if it gets warm and slushy or the snow is deeper than an inch, you're going to get soaked because as far as I know, you can't waterproof suede. I only wear mine on REALLY cold days, because then the snow doesn't stick to my boots and melt into them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Portobello Mushroom Lasagna
@Home This Weekend: Intoxication Station
Tute Tuesday: Little Bunny Rabbit Toy

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...