A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
200 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Costume sewing - can anyone help me with V-neck???  (Read 1301 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
tiedyediva

an amy butler kitty ball? am i dreaming?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 15, 2008 04:24:32 PM »

I am really under a time crunch to get 8 smocks sewn for a play my daughter is in. They are supposed to be "beautician" type smocks for an Emerald City scene. I need them to be one size fits all and pull on quickly so I wanted to make the neckline rounded with a V-slit as shown to fit over all kinds of heads.

What I want to do is simply turn back the edges of the "V" and hem, but how do I finish the point of the V? It seems like it will be a stress point and if I simply turn and stitch the straight edges, the point will be unfinished and prone to tearing. I really don't have time to face the whole thing, is there some other way?  Thank you for any help!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

my site: www.tiedyedivapatterns.com
join our FB group: Tie Dye Diva sewing patterns
Sewing tips and tutes on the blog: Tie Dye Diva Patterns blog
__themidge
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008 04:47:18 PM »

Bias tape?
Seems to be the simplest solution to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mandanak

I maded puppets!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008 12:51:22 AM »

Hmm, here's what I would do, on a whim:

Open up the V so it's lying flat -- point's in the middle; it's making a straight line all the way across.

Fold it over to the back and stitch, all the way along.

Reshape it into a V, and probably tack the bottom -- there's probably some overlapping necessary. then Done!

Bias tape is also clearly a possibility, but I don't know if that qualifies as taking too long.

Hope that helps! good luck with what I assume is The Wizard of Oz! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To craft and to solve.
Is2sew
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008 04:30:33 AM »

I would just open up the V so it is in a straight line and just use a satin stitich or serge the edge in a matching color.  If they are not going to be used again in a performance, that would be the easiest route.  On stage, no one will be able to tell that it is not "truly hemmed".   Good luck and let us know what you decided.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008 08:01:35 AM »

The best way to do THAT type of v-neck is by making a quick neck facing.  You should also NOT cut the V slice in them until the facing is sewn on.  To do so you need to lay the shirt pattern out, and trace the top neckline and all of the V.  Then make your facing's finished line 1 1/2" - 2" longer than this.  Cut out your facings, interface them with a fusible if you have time, and serge the raw outside edges.  If you don't have a serger then you can edge stitch with a machine instead.  Now, pin the facing to the garment, right sides together.  Sew around the neck edge with a 1/4" seam allowance.  When you get to the V stitch closer to the line, but still leave yourself about 1/8" S.A. and stopping the machine at the point of the V, and pivoting with the needle down to go back up.  A few back stitches on each side of this pivot are a good idea.   Now clip the neckline curves, and cut your V slash along the line, very close to, but not through the stitching.  Flip your facing to the inside and iron flat.  If you have the time, top stitch 1/8" in on the outside to help stabalize the V.  If you assembly line style them, it shouldn't take you too long to do all 8 like this.  You can also pull in unskilled labor to help you pin along the edges and do the ironing for you, so you can sit at the machine and pound them out!
 :-)  Good luck! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Garage Sale Fundraiser

#CraftstersNeverSayDie #AuRevoirNotGoodbye #UntilWeMeetAgain

Launching soon: Lettucecraft.com
Crafts Chats Swaps
tiedyediva

an amy butler kitty ball? am i dreaming?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008 09:51:52 AM »

Thank you! I bumbled along last night with 2 of them before I saw responses, I stitched 5/8" inside the V as reinforcement, then flipped the edges of the V back and stitched, and zigzag/faux bar tacked the bottom. It's not a super approach, thank goodness for the 30-foot rule - no one will see it! But they do need to hold up for future performances, they will belong to the theater, so I think I will try folding in a straight line and overlapping the way suggested on the others. I wish I had time for bias tape or facing but this is my last day to work on them and I've got no assistance, skilled or otherwise, LOL. jennieingram, I can see that is how my sample smock from another show was done, I wasn't sure but when I read your instructions I can see that's exactly how they did it. But the theater didn't give me my assignment until I had only 3 days to purchase fabric and sew them all, so they said however I could get them done was ok. Smiley

Off to see the Wizard!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my site: www.tiedyedivapatterns.com
join our FB group: Tie Dye Diva sewing patterns
Sewing tips and tutes on the blog: Tie Dye Diva Patterns blog
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...