A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
155 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sock monkeys and racism?  (Read 37341 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
SunflowerSmiles
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008 02:33:15 PM »

oh for heaven's sake...sigh...I think those who are saying this have to much time on there hands and need to DO something with them...like..make a sock monkey Grin I truly hope you don't let this get to you and taint your making sock monkeys.  I think they're adorable and have history.  And...it's a sock.  I agree with Aislynn...make your sock monkeys...love your sock monkeys!  Oh an post them here cause I love to look at sock monkeys Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008 03:54:10 PM »

Just tossing out some random thoughts. Having attended racial justice workshops, I've learned that things that caucasians (sp?) can't see as racist are perceived as extremely racist by members of different racial & ethnic groups. I'm a sociologist at heart so I'm always interested in demographics & socio-economic status.
In that vein (and as someone who made a sock monkey for the challenge) I would be very interested in the perspectives of people who are members of groups that are called minority.

Selkie  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
SunflowerSmiles
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008 04:15:43 PM »

Selkie...good point Wink and I think I would be interested in that as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008 09:00:53 AM »

I dunno...I'm anything but a minority, and while my original statements stand, I do have to say the Obama monkey is in rather poor taste.  I can see, very easily, how it could be construed as racist.

That said, my best friend growing up was African-American, and her mom made her sock monkeys to play with.  If that counts for anything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008 09:39:30 AM »

I completely agree with you on the Obama monkey. I don't know the website so I'm not sure if it was meant to be a tribute or somethings more nefarious (I love having an excuse to use that word, they don't present themselves often), but I digress.
Well intentioned or not, not the best choice!

Selkie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
lostdawill
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008 10:02:09 AM »

I agree that the sock monkey isn't racist.  Gee, I have a doll from my childhood that is FAR more likely to be called racist.  I have a Topsy Turvy doll that is black on one side and white on the other.  I still have the doll and love it so does that me racist too?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lost -

Open to private swaps
azngel
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008 05:14:04 PM »

dont feel bad about it.  people seriously think everything is racist and offensive these days. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mollfie
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009 11:30:17 AM »

I've never heard anything like that before. A sock monkey is just a monkey made out of a sock.

Exactly.

That person is either an idiot or just over sensitive. They seem to have a chip on their shoulder and be looking for racism in things. Strikes me as the sort of annoying person who if you said they couldn't do something would retort with "is it because I'm black?" >__<

Maybe you could put up a picture of the monkeys they referred to?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kstaron
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009 05:45:10 AM »

I can't imagine that a toy of an animal would be racist.  Have you replied to the poster on your blog? If they really consider it racist maybe they have a reason in their head they could share instead of calling you names.  If they can't put together a reasonable argument I wouldn't worry about them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...