A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
164 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Red lacey belt.  (Read 13811 times)
Tags for this thread: belt , lace , pattern_included  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
bagheraa

I'm not a llama! (I am a black leopard)

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2005 11:45:58 AM »

I saved this pattern because I thought the belt looked really cute. Now I have found the yarn I want to use, but I don't understand the 'yf' (I realise that you have explained it before, but I just don't get it). I have done yo's before, and from what I have read in the past, it can sometimes be the same, and sometimes not...?
 I tried googling and I found this http://www.keyboardbiologist.net/Techniques/YarnForwardKnit.htm - can someone please tell me if this is the right way? Somehow I think it isn't, because of the '(nb: by yf, I mean "put the yarn to the front", not "make a stitch by putting the yarn to the front then knitting".)'
I SOOO want to make this belt, so please help me.

bagheraa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bagheraa is on Ravelry Wink
graciepetunia
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2005 11:54:06 AM »

No , I dont think that is right. To yf you put your yarn infront, thru needles, then knit your stitch. It will create a lace like hole. Hope this helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn Ho,will work for yarn!
bagheraa

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2005 11:55:57 AM »

But how do I knit the stitch when I have my yarn in front of the needles?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graciepetunia
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2005 11:59:46 AM »

It goes around your rt hand needle
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn Ho,will work for yarn!
bagheraa

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2005 12:18:37 PM »

Ah I see... I have tried it now. I thought it was going around the left hand needle, that's why I couldn't figure it out. But then it's the same thing as a yo, right? (At least how I learned a yo).
Thank you for your help Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eoz
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2005 04:47:55 PM »

England and America, two cultures separated by a common language... Wink (And me in Australia, looking on... Tongue)

By 'yf', I mean bring the yarn to the front of the RH needle. Like you would if you were going to purl. Depending on what the pattern does next, you would either knit the next stitch (hence putting the yarn over the needle and making a stitch), or slip the next stitch and then knit the one after, before passing the slipped stitch over. (Making a stitch and decreasing.)

The easiest way to make sure you're doing what the pattern calls for is to make sure you have the same number of stitches after you've done a row as you did before.

(It could be worse: the other day, I was trying to do a lace pattern from an english book from c1940. That used 'm1' for 'put the yarn to the front'. I went, oh, m1 means make 1 which means I knit a stitch with the yarn in front. And then I wondered why the pattern seemed to need more stitches than what were on the needle.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Q. What do you do with a dead chemist?
A. Barium.
kloepstar
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2005 08:26:11 AM »

Here's my version of the belt, made in a gold yarn with gold lame threads that I found at AC Moore for 5 bucks (took exactly one skein to make a belt about 33" long, plus fringe).  It is very bling-esque.  I gave it to my sister for her birthday.  Interestingly enough, I saw something almost exactly like this at J Crew for 60 bucks! Yay crafting!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010 10:51:34 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I must go down to the seas again,
to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way,
where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over."
Kimbabwe
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2005 05:17:23 AM »

Eoz,

thanks so much for sharing this pattern. I love this! I'm not much of a belt-wearer, but I'm totally going to make a hair band/tie kinda' thingy with this pattern. Maybe a little narrower and shorter than you would for a belt, but still with the fringy ties at the end. I can't wait!

Kim
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jane2
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2005 12:04:12 PM »

Love this belt! Good work.
Many thanks for the pattern as well.

I have added it to the incredibly looong list of things I MUST knit.

(When in second hand stores, I usually check through those Golden Hands hardcover books for patterns or ideas - just b/c they're old dosen't mean they can't be used.)

I wonder ... if an i-cord would look OK and/or work OK - instead of a long fringe?
For some reason I have an irrational phobia about hanging strings/threads.
I have this idea they would "hang" all over the place after a while, start fraying or disintegrating almost immediately, etc. etc.

Well, I won't know until I get at it. Right?
Thanks again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flrtingwdisaster
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2005 12:28:31 PM »

wow lovely belt
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...