A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 314,372
Currently Running With Scissors:
206 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Finding thin cotton fabric  (Read 726 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

nemka

Tell Guu your problems. Guu will buy you a drink.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 07, 2008 09:14:49 AM »

So I recently bought a cute top on sale from J. Crew (not my usual clothing supplier, but this top was kinda adorable) and I got to thinking about making my own tops inspired by this.

Thing is, I can't find suitable fabric. Cotton at places like Jo-Anns is usually quilting cotton, which is thick and stiff. The stuff of my shirt is thin, almost gauzy, and very very soft. No matter where I go, I can't seem to find thin, almost see-through soft cotton fabric.

I'm currently in central New York, so suggestions fabric suppliers nearby where I could go in person would be appreciated; otherwise, if there are online suppliers I'd be willing to try these out. (Though I'm skeptical of buying fabric I can't feel.)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008 09:20:07 AM by nemka » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Taniquel
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008 01:38:57 AM »

Can't help you with where to find it, but what you are looking for is called batiste. it is a very fine woven fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FLooZySue
I Was gonna make a tomato sandwich... that is until the sand started pouring outta my pincushion 80)...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008 04:44:30 PM »

LOL, you can finds lots of the stuff in my sewing room! I love thin almost gauzy type cotton fabrics.... Though I'm in Texas, I have had good luck finding it at fabric centers that sell ONLY fabrics......

But yeah, go with the Batiste that's a good start.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008 06:03:45 PM »

I'm in Louisiana, and they carry batiste at both Joann's and Hancock's year-round.  They had it at WalMart, too, when WM had fabric.  Most often, if it's not with the other cottons, it's either by the eyelet, or else near the linings/interfacings.  One thing, too, to remember about it:  it's a little stiffer on the bolt, it softens up once it's washed, as is true for most cottons.  Broadcloth softens up much the same way, and has a great drape.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Dragonflies in the Yard
Tute Tuesday: Mini Messenger Bag
Black and White and Red All Over

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...