A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 315,374
Currently Running With Scissors:
142 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: vancouver: sewing machine and serger repair?  (Read 6662 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 06, 2005 02:39:06 AM »

my serger is in desperate need of servicing, and i have a couple of machines that i've been putting off getting repaired (older ones that i've picked up at thrift stores, etc).

any suggestions of where to take them?

i live extremely close to masons, but i'm really hesitant to take them there. for one, because they're so expensive ($80 minimum!), and two, more importantly, because they've been so rude to me everytime i go in there. they are always so condescending! i may look young, but i've been sewing for 15 years, and i'm getting tired of their attitude.

but anyway. i'm looking for suggestions! i'd prefer something a bit less pricey than masons (i have a hard time justifying $80 for servicing on $20 sewing machine!) but if that's the going rate in vancouver, i'll pay it. i'd like to hear some personal experiences before i trust someone with my serger!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
crazy_bc_jen
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005 08:36:05 PM »

I got my machine, and was impressed with the knowledge and service, at Towes Music and Sewing (yes, a store that sells a combination of guitars, drums, and sewing machines), but it is all the way in Chilliwack.  No idea about the going rate, however, but I bet it'd be expensive just about anywhere.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kayla
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005 01:01:26 PM »

i got my sewing machine at Laara's Vacuums in steveston yes its a store that sells new and used vacuums and sewing machines and even collectable model trains!! they are super nice and helpful and Laara even wors there!! i haven'tr had to servicemy machine yet but here is the number if you want to call:

ph 604-277-8487

good luck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftydame

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005 05:38:56 PM »

I got my machine, and was impressed with the knowledge and service, at Towes Music and Sewing (yes, a store that sells a combination of guitars, drums, and sewing machines), but it is all the way in Chilliwack.  No idea about the going rate, however, but I bet it'd be expensive just about anywhere.

ohhhh, chilliwack.. no, i don't think i can convince myself to all the way out there! especially not two trips, one to drop off and one to pick up. but thanks!

i got my sewing machine at Laara's Vacuums in steveston yes its a store that sells new and used vacuums and sewing machines and even collectable model trains!! they are super nice and helpful and Laara even wors there!! i haven'tr had to servicemy machine yet but here is the number if you want to call:

ph 604-277-8487

good luck!!

okay, steveston i could do! thanbks a lot! i'll call and see if they service sergers, because that's the urgent one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

moefen
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005 02:47:49 PM »

I used to get my sewing machine serviced at the Singer dealer on Kingsway, in Burnaby, just past Metrotown.  You want to talk to the younger guy, rather than the older guy.  Average tuneup is about $60 per hour, usually 1 hour for a sewing machine.

I also have a second hand recomendation for the machine shop that is on Main street one block north of Broadway, in the funny triangular building.  I don't know what it is called, but a woman I work for uses them.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
amandajones

life means nothing if you're not obsessed

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005 10:25:59 PM »

there's a couple places in langley and surrey that are pretty good. let me know if you want the names of them.  it might be too far. i lived downtown (vancouver) for awhile and comming to langley by bus was not fun. it would be worse with a sewing machine!
amanda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We like boys. We like hot boys.
With roaming hands and rushing fingers!
I'm just a be bop baby, and i don't take nothing from no one.
See you later Daddyo's
craftydame

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005 11:08:04 PM »

there's a couple places in langley and surrey that are pretty good. let me know if you want the names of them.  it might be too far. i lived downtown (vancouver) for awhile and comming to langley by bus was not fun. it would be worse with a sewing machine!
amanda

oh, please! i actually work in surrey, and my parents live out there, so i'm in surrey a lot (much more than i'd like, really!). i try to avoid langley, because i always get lost (everytime i'm there, they've built something new, and it confuses the hell out of me), but i'm out there once in a while, so if you're got suggestions, i'll take them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amandajones

life means nothing if you're not obsessed

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005 03:43:44 PM »

sure. i'll get the names and addresses and put them up either today or tommorrow!
amanda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We like boys. We like hot boys.
With roaming hands and rushing fingers!
I'm just a be bop baby, and i don't take nothing from no one.
See you later Daddyo's
snowii
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008 02:19:47 AM »

Did anyone find a cheaper repair shop?
cuz if it's $80 I'd rather buy a new one!
Also..silly thought, but is there anyway we can fix it ourselves?  Huh
I'd rather give it a shot and break it than pay $80!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Washer Necklace
Can't Fool Mother Nature
Meatless Monday: Mexican Bean Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...