A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 313,730
Currently Running With Scissors:
225 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first RL collage (img heavish)  (Read 20576 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008 08:59:00 PM »

I LOVE the last one. I'd come to your show.  Smiley

crafty nerdy girl

just make stuff!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008 11:04:13 PM »

Thank you sooo much for all the comments and kind words! They really do make me feel more like I can do this.

I would love to try fabric. I was considering even sewing on the paper, which might be... different. It was my first RL collage, and I'm pretty excited about all the possibilities. Then again, I don’t want to go out and spend $100s in supplies then I can’t afford. LOL. I’ll definitely check craig’s list… if not decorative paper, maybe bed sheets or old clothes?!  Grin

uhm - fueling the fire here (I hope Wink ), but you CAN sew on paper! I sewed plastic and playing cards together for my ATC's until too much denim ruined the timing on my machine.

The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008 12:10:06 AM »

I'm not sure I can add much. I love your work, the necks are a little disconcerting, but otherwise quite cute. I like the first one the best. I think they would make good greeting cards.
I would use some scrapbook papers because some of them are embossed and cut like lace. Maybe a little glazing. And of course fabrics.
If you have a phone book, I think they still publish those, look under art supply stores, or google business. There are online paper supply stores but that won't give you much time to work and have it dry by the weekend. I like those pre-stretched canvases with the staples in the back. I've mostly painted on wood.
Good luck with the show and keep us posted.

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
Medieval Craft lover

I live to learn new crafting techniques!

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008 12:32:38 AM »

Your work looks beautiful. You have a great style. It's a shame your poster wasn't picked for the festival, I love it. Good luck with your show, I'm sure you'll do well.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008 10:06:23 AM by seneris » THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt - use gold paint Wink
50 projects in 2013 craftalong
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008 03:59:26 AM »

These are amazing - good luck with your exhibition

Would love to swap journal ephemera if anyone is doing that
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008 04:09:33 AM »

wow this stuff rocks I especiasly love trhe first one for the ethnic fest the colours and shapes they totaly sent me iona synesthetic spiral just love it

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008 06:48:05 AM »

Beautiful work, love to see more of the digital and some of the RL collage, too. Your artistic talent is very nice, your style is awesome, like a grown-up fairy tale "kids" book.

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008 07:05:41 AM »

First off, our local dollar stores have lots of papers in the scrapbooking section. Handmade, corrigated, all sorts of different ideas, for a Loonie! (Im in Canada)

Secondly, Jump in with both feet and swim like a mad woman!!!
You have great work, you know what you are doing and YOU WILL find a market for it!!

Don't look back and say "what if?"

ps, I absolutely think you should illustrate a book with your girls in it. If you make up a story line and do the illustrating, I know a few authors that would jump at a chance to write for you.
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2008 10:17:27 AM »

You sound like you love texture so I'm recommending opening your eyes to "things" other than paper to bring texture into your work. 

paper doilies, office supplies, fabric, lace, hardware, books, etc

Look in places like: dollar store, grocery store, hardware store, fabric store, thrift shops, antique stores, etc

For inspiration pick up a couple of relevant magazines for inspiration and ideas like: "cloth, paper, scissors" (I'm reading it right now-excellent and inspiring!) and/or check out the Somerset publications.

I love your pieces.  Considering THEY picked you I wouldn't worry too much.  They obviously like your work.

Good luck!
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2008 02:26:57 PM »

Thank you everyone for all your advice. I've started looking everywhere for fun texture. I'm going to try creating some more this week and we'll see... I haven't had a chance to go to the fabric store yet, but at least I can play with my paper and maybe some of the fabric I have horded away.

I can't imagine illustrating a children's book. That sounds like so much fun. Maybe once the art show is over... yikes! Smiley

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
March 21, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Corgi Puppy!
Bunny Wannabes

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...