A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,561
Currently Running With Scissors:
108 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pretty Batik Lamp!  (Read 3955 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
ringoatemybaby
« on: March 04, 2005 09:14:55 PM »

I bought a cheap floor lamp from Target with plain white bulb covers (what in the world is that part called anyway??). I thought the starkness wouldn't bug me, but it seriously was only out of the box less than ten minutes before I got annoyed with how plain it was.

I used the crayon-batik method somebody posted before to make a big abstract drawing on butcher paper, then sliced it into strips and decoupaged it on the bulb covering. The pictures are kinda eh, but I'm excited about finally having a camera so I can share stuff with you guys anyway!  Grin

...and lit.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010 09:23:15 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Veggiechick
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005 09:17:35 PM »

I looks like it has an almost stained glass quality in the pictures. Too cool. And is there anything decoupage can't fix?  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005 04:25:40 PM »

That's really pretty! It does look like stained glass. Knowing me, though, if I did that, I'd somehow manage to start a fire.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mellyp

QFA - you know you want to...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005 04:30:04 PM »

what a great idea - your new "lamp shade" has inspired me to do something similar to my plain IKEA floor lamp.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alberta alberta - crafty goodness for you and your home
albertaalberta.etsy.com
http://albertaalberta.blogspot.com/
PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005 07:08:08 PM »

Thats really pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
rissaroo
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005 06:00:50 PM »

here's the original instructions for the paper:
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=11821.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ringoatemybaby
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2005 07:25:00 AM »

Thanks for the kind comments and the link! I was worried about it catching on fire at first too, but it seems to be holding up pretty well so far. I did, however, manage to glue myself to the lamp. Several times. That's just how I roll.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rissaroo
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005 08:36:36 AM »

OK well i tried this as well with my cheap target lamp. My lamp has a silver base / arms, so I used silver paint instead of black. it came out looking interesting, though not anything like what i expected. If I were to do it over again, here is what i would do:

1. Color hard! Where i colored more lightly it came out looking kinda blah.
2. color in a small pattern. I made a big flowery pattern but once it is cut and re-done, it just looks like strips of color. which is fine, but the two places where there was an intact small flower look bettter.
3. use the acrylic paint at full strength  - for some reason i thought you were supposed to water it down, but that was a mess. work fast and wipe off quickly.
4. if you have a curved bulb cover you are working on, work with small pieces of paper which are easier to glue on a curved surface. I also cut tiny slits in the paper to make it easier to glue on.
5. try to avoid overlapping the papers too much - where they overlap very little light gets through and it obscures the design.
6. Make the strips go past the end of the bulb cover, mod podge over it all, and let dry. then run an xacto knife around the edges for a smooth, clean edge. Mod podge your next coat to seal the edge.

OK well thats my 2 cents. Once i have a camera i will post a picture of how mine came out!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
rissaroo
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005 04:31:39 PM »

Here's my pics - thanks for the great idea!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ringoatemybaby
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2005 02:11:18 PM »

Wow. Your lamp is GORGEOUS. Fantastic job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pickled Beet, Arugula and Goat Cheese Salad
@Home This Weekend: Sweater Snake
Tute Tuesday: Take Anywhere Picnic Playset

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...