A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
156 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Dead Kennedys Costume (aka Bloody Jackie O)  (Read 19302 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
JaneSays13

the todd appreciates hotness regardless of gender

View Profile WWW
« on: October 29, 2008 08:38:23 PM »

my boyfriend and i decided to go as the "Dead Kennedys" i haven't had a chance to do his suit yet but i finished my part of the costume. The suit was originally a 3 piece suit i bought from a vintage store for 22 bucks. i hated the shirt part so i chopped it up and it became the pillbox hat. the pillbox hat is made from the material and some really stiff interfacing. then i added a spray bottle full of red paint and water and voila. bloody jackie o. now i'm just waiting for brain pieces to dry so i can add them to the hat.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2008 08:50:01 PM by JaneSays13 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

CostumeGoddess
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008 08:44:39 PM »

This is great. Right up my alley - demented and irreverent! Love it! Love It!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ashleyjustine
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008 08:46:13 PM »

too soon, too soon.

haha, love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JaneSays13

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008 08:51:11 PM »

thanks guys! i was interested in getting an idea of how its going to go over. either love it or hate it i suppose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kneedeepnsurprise
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008 08:51:37 PM »

I love it! The spray looks really good!

Be sure to post some brain pictures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hippiejo74
Life, liberty and the pursuit of craftiness.

Gotta go - kids chewed thru their straps...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008 09:45:20 PM »

Grin This totally also reminds me of the movie "House of Yes" with Parker Posey and Tori Spelling in it......totally demented - great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come check out my etsy shop - vintage, eco-friendly and all kinds of crafty goodness Smiley
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5029774

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud."
1 Cor. 13:4
alli.illektro
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008 09:47:29 PM »

this is terribly awesome; and terribly sad. but more awesome. coming from the girl who was hitler for halloween once (sexy pinup hitler) i love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
the head vampire
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008 10:18:25 PM »

Looks fantastic. I've always loved House of Yes and Parker Posey's line about the "macaroni brains" she used in her costume. Heh heh. I'd love to do this costume but know some peeps get awfully touchy so I wuss out. Props to you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Halloween is love
grendelsmom
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008 06:03:15 AM »

Totally tasteless, totally awesome. 

Remember to do your hair - yours is much longer than hers was.  I read your title and thought you were going out as the band the Dead Kennedys; guess that's an Old Person reference now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Grave_13
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008 11:34:05 AM »

Wow, nicely done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blenderbabe22384
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008 12:24:41 PM »

lol that is so awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vicious_malicious
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008 02:02:48 PM »

This is so great I wish I thought of it!  The theme actually might have made my boyfriedn dress up this year! Please post pics when you attach the brain piece...I'm anxious to see it all together.

Press "this rocks"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JaneSays13

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008 03:11:35 PM »

aw thanks! i'll post more pictures up when i finish the JFK part of the costume.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

McJulie-O
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008 05:54:26 PM »

Terrible vibes.  Embarrassed... it's different if you lived through it and remember that awful day Cry
It seems a shame to trivialize a true catastrophe like that....

Sorry, but I'm a downer on this one.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008 12:58:42 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Villain_Queen
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008 07:03:58 PM »

oh wow ! i love it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kawaiimaru

you're a rubber snake!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008 07:15:32 PM »

at this costume shop here [in dallas] theres a bloody jackie o costume...

hahaha esp funny cause its in dallas!

yours is GREAT though Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let's be spies...

and wear interesting hats!
mimik
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008 03:57:35 AM »

Terrible vibes.  Embarrassed... it's different if you lived through it and remember that awful day Cry

I'm with McJulie-O.  Since you indicated you are interested in how this will go over, you probably realize that some people will think you and your boyfriend are pretty tasteless.  It depends on the crowd, I guess.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Phildude
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008 04:40:24 AM »

Thats awesome !!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissTessaMelissa
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008 08:02:24 AM »

As soon as I saw it was like sad that you smeared that cute suit with blood. Sad I still think you did a good job.

I always think of Dr. Girlfriend now when I see a pink suit like that. (from Venture Bros.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares.
PatriaE
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2008 08:07:50 AM »

Thank you for doing this. My mother has been trying to get me to do this for years.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt.

wists
AllieKat3120

We're not here to talk nonsense to Bob Loblaw

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2008 09:07:26 AM »

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

i totally thought it was going to be the band too when i clicked on this.... i like this so much more though... your expression is priceless... and i love your shoes! haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JaneSays13

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2008 10:10:53 AM »

I'm with McJulie-O.  Since you indicated you are interested in how this will go over, you probably realize that some people will think you and your boyfriend are pretty tasteless.  It depends on the crowd, I guess.

i realize that some people are not going to like it but i would not comment on someones project and call them tasteless. thats quite rude. if you are offended by it thats your right to be but you don't have to say something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

grunteeistgut

cassie-tail trendsetter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2008 10:47:50 AM »

Forget them...this costume is awesome! I would LOVE to see the JFK suit and everything!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to get some hand warmers/mittens for this winter! Personal swap anyone??
HSG
Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

He says I color his world

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2008 11:57:42 AM »

i realize that some people are not going to like it but i would not comment on someones project and call them tasteless. thats quite rude. if you are offended by it thats your right to be but you don't have to say something.

When the thread was originally posted she asked for opinions. I don't think anyone was trying to be rude, but offer another insight.

Personally, making light of a tragedy is not to my taste. Sometimes though people are distanced by time, or personal knowledge.

Suppose if someone has done this with Kurt Cobain suicide likeness, or some student from Columbine murders, or the murdered family of Jennifer Hudson?

Guess my point is your idea is quite clever, but real people were killed. Not to mention the changes that occurred in our country.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

B'H
Proud Army Mom, Hoaah!!!
Help Fight Breast Cancer
MollyG
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2008 12:10:45 PM »

First off, don't ask for opinions if what you really want is for people to kiss your butt, tell you you are awesome and stroke your ego.

But here's an idea, the two of you could dress up as the twin towers.. that would show just as much klass and respect.  Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ambimom

Knit, Sew, Spin but Pug Love Is Best

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2008 12:31:47 PM »

I was a college freshman on that horrible day in November.  I am offended by this costume.  Mrs. Kennedy was only 33 and in the previous August had just delivered a child that died after 3 day sof life. When her husband was killed, she was left with two young children to raise. 

I presume the costume's creator has never experienced a sudden death of someone who is their contemporary, let alone witness the brutal murder of that loved one.

Many people remember exactly where they were and the emotions that are associated with the JFK assassination (similar to our generation's 9/11).

I have lived long enough to have experienced both.  I was across the river in Newark watching the planes fly into the World Trade Center.  My dentist's 30 year old son perished that morning. 

This derives pleasure in someone else's suffering.  Not cool.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008 12:59:02 PM by Ambimom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I took the handmade pledge at birth
LinzSerena
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2008 12:42:49 PM »

From a craft standpoint, the splattered blood looks good...
I appreciate your unconventional sense of humor and I certainly have done stuff/said stuff that has offended others in the past...

But you should expect that not everyone will respond to this favorably... (after all, it is a shock-value kind of costume).

Many people remember exactly where they were and the emotions that are associated with the JFK assassination (similar to our generation's 9/11). It was a dark time in our country's history and it was something that some people have never fully recovered from.

I'm not suggesting that you change your costume, since it really is your creative liberty, but really any artist should be prepared to accept harsh criticism. Just remember that an emotionally loaded stimulus can provoke an emotional reaction.

Just my humble opinion  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Lindsey
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
"Be open to learning new lessons even if they contradict the lessons you learned yesterday."
- Ellen Degeneres
---------------------------------------------
"All great achievements require time" ~Maya Angelou
shesxautomatic

my mom says i'm a catch.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2008 12:53:24 PM »

aw, i dressed up as this a few years ago. it was a fun costume. inspired by the house of yes, which is my favorite movie of forever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"i didn't mean to maim you.
i only meant to kill you."

www.lladybird.wordpress.com
www.wickedtomatofactory.etsy.com
jungrrl
Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2008 01:01:16 PM »

Hey (mostly) ladies,

I know that the OP asked for opinions, but please try to stay civil and on topic.  Thanks!

jungrrl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I guess this is goodbye.

Tutorials Portal
doubleplusgood

put your hand inside the puppet head

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2008 01:27:07 PM »

I read your title and thought you were going out as the band the Dead Kennedys; guess that's an Old Person reference now!

that's what i thought too.  i thought it was some kind of DK reference i wasn't getting until it dawned on me that it was literally Dead Kennedys.  LOVE IT.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect?  There's a frood who really knows where his towel is.
Ejoey01
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2008 02:11:58 PM »

You really couldn't have believed that you would post this and not ruffle a few feathers? Certainly you are not that naive. I don't believe it's rude to call your costume tasteless, because it is tasteless. In my opinion, it is embarrassing, disrespectful, unpatriotic, and unfortunately speaks volumes about the corrupt generation that I have to include myself in. You don't think people who are offended should speak up? I sat on my hands earlier today when I saw your post but I don't think I should have to, I have just as much right to post as your supporters do. In my civil opinion, this does rank right up there with dressing as the Twin Towers and if that idea doesn't turn your stomach, I can't imagine what would. I hope you have a Happy Halloween and take the "good" and the "bad" comments graciously.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
thisbirdsabsurd
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2008 06:45:22 PM »

Got to agree - I'm sure your skills are admirable, but not a fan of deriving pleasure from other people's pain.  To each their own I suppose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got a new website! www.thisbirdsabsurd.com and I'm still on Etsy www.thisbirdsabsurd.etsy.com
And find me on Facebook!  Thisbirdsabsurd
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Thisbirdsabsurd/753468561415455
AClockworkLemon
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2008 06:47:31 PM »

You really couldn't have believed that you would post this and not ruffle a few feathers? Certainly you are not that naive. I don't believe it's rude to call your costume tasteless, because it is tasteless. In my opinion, it is embarrassing, disrespectful, unpatriotic, and unfortunately speaks volumes about the corrupt generation that I have to include myself in. You don't think people who are offended should speak up? I sat on my hands earlier today when I saw your post but I don't think I should have to, I have just as much right to post as your supporters do. In my civil opinion, this does rank right up there with dressing as the Twin Towers and if that idea doesn't turn your stomach, I can't imagine what would. I hope you have a Happy Halloween and take the "good" and the "bad" comments graciously.

Alright, so, I'm a long-time lurker of Craftster and constantly put off registering and making an account, but, for THAT comment I'm coming out of the woodwork. The girl is asking you to judge the COSTUME not her character. Which, despite you putting the word "costume" in front of your insults, was obviously directed at her. I'm sure you yourself have laughed at jokes that were (to some at least) in what could be defined as "bad taste". I'd wager to guess that a critique about, say, the construction of the garment (or, you know, something actually pertaining to crafts) wouldn't bother her, but don't be flat-out rude. 

As for the costume: Love it!  Smiley I can't wait to see you and "JFK" together! My fella and I were planning to do this exact costume for at least a month out, until he found out his buddy and girlfriend were going as Mario and Peach - so now I get to be Daisy to my boyfriend's Luigi - bah humbug.  I look dreadful in yellow.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brotherlover
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2008 02:37:35 PM »

Fantastic, simply fantastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
malkatz
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2011 12:48:32 AM »

This is one of my dream costumes or photoshoots. Glad to see it in action!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am an expert on all the Repo! The Genetic Opera costumes! Please feel free to PM me with questions.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...