A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
203 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Planet Fondant Cake! (Tons O' Pics)  (Read 2548 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
littlemissDIY
« on: October 21, 2008 03:37:15 PM »

This is my second fondant cake. I made it for my brother's 17th birthday this weekend after fall break. It took about 4 hours, which is a HUGE improvement from cake number one. He speaks like 8 different languages, so I thought a language themed cake would be fun.  Hope you like it!

I painted the top with basic food coloring and water, I wanted it to have that handpainted map look. I didn't look at a map for reference, so sorry if the country placement bugs any geography nuts out there Tongue

Its a devil's food cake with chocolate buttercream icing. It's two layers, a 9 inch and an 8 inch on top. The bottom layer is covered with chocolate marshmallow fondant... which is absolutely delicious, btw.

Then I took shish-kabob skewers and taped on signs that said happy birthday in different languages.

Here's the text. Some of the languages I used were Icelandic, German, Russian, Chinese, Arabic, Hindi, Portuguese, Vietnamese, Hulu (my favorite!) and a couple other random languages he knows. He's crazy like that

If you've got any questions about the cake, marshmallow fondant, or anything let me know and i'll be happy to explain! Cheesy

-Emily
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008 10:39:51 PM by littlemissDIY - Reason: I wanted the thumbnail to be a better picture! » THIS ROCKS   Logged
OmJane
-Tanya [tawn-yuh]

clickity clack.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008 03:42:53 PM »

this is really fantastic. i love this idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog: Flour and Fleece

"On the contrary, it is you who are crazy to think that you are mighty because you can wound and destroy. That is the task of children. The mighty know how to create and heal."
b16aGirl
If you see me wandering the streets staring at the sky, remind me that clouds aren't quilted.

I got nuthin.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008 03:55:49 PM »

That is amazing! Definitely hit This Rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have a beautiful day!
pandalize
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008 03:58:45 PM »

I bow down to your cake skills... i'm hitting this rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olivia27

Cookies, anyone?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008 05:29:22 PM »

Wow, that's such a great cake! I love all the little tags, it's a fantastic idea.

I can't believe your brother speaks 8 languages, that's insane! Does he speak them all fluently?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlemissDIY
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008 08:57:41 PM »

He speaks Russian and German fluently. He speaks Czech and I think Slovenian pretty well.. the rest I have NO clue how well he speaks. He's nuts... all he ever wants for his birthday are translation books!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kiabolo
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008 11:43:40 AM »

I love the cake! Cheesy
8 languages?! That's so cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"In this world, there aren't two kinds of people; those who like cheese and those who don't."
-KP
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...