A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
217 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: pattern making classes?  (Read 2038 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
caffeinechipmunk
« on: October 20, 2008 01:03:41 PM »

has anyone ever attended pattern making classes or hired a seamstress to teach you one on one? I have ideas for clothing I want to draft but I'm horrible at necklines! I can upsize a pattern and make my own skirts and such but tops in general I have a real problem with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crystal

My husband and I co-parent 7 kids. And we like to make different shit. Some of it we sell.  www.etsy.com/shop/80thirteen
htgerman
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008 05:23:29 AM »

has anyone ever attended pattern making classes or hired a seamstress to teach you one on one? I have ideas for clothing I want to draft but I'm horrible at necklines! I can upsize a pattern and make my own skirts and such but tops in general I have a real problem with.

Hi there,
I personally have never taken a pattern making class but I can recommend a book "Metric Pattern Cutting for Womens Wear" (http://www.amazon.com/Metric-Pattern-Cutting-Womens-Wear/dp/1405175672/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224591468&sr=8-1)
that teaches how to go about it. Once you get the hang of it it could be a good idea to try pattern making software (takes the tedious parts out of the task :-). There is a huge selection available - from simple click and print to sophisticated, whatever suits you.
Either way it is a lot of fun making your own patterns. I haven't bought a commercial pattern since learning to make my own :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008 10:51:43 AM »

I'm in a pattern drafting class right now and I personally like draping better. I on the other hand still use patterns - why reinvent the wheel if someone has done all the work for you?

Now, I did teach myself before taking this class, but they did tell me the right way to fold my darts. Which happens to be down and towards the center front.

The book I use in my class is pretty expensive, but all my school books are. It is helpful if you want to draft based off the "average" measurements, but when I tried to draft a bodice using the measurements I took, it turned out wonky and I ended up draping it. I am a fashion design major and patternmaking is one of my favorite parts. See if there might be any schools near you that teach fashion and see if you might be able to just take a few classes and don't be afraid to ask to test out of classes.

I could teach you! lol but really I just went to my university library and they have all the textbooks for pattern drafting and draping, but I also taught myself online before that.
http://dedredhed.deviantart.com/art/Basic-Bodice-Drape-Front-29110482
From the basic draft you can make so many changes and alterations, especially by moving the darts or turning the darts into gathers, or or ha ha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...