A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 313,561
Currently Running With Scissors:
324 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Specific finishing glaze YOU use...  (Read 8678 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

extraespresso
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2008 07:38:47 PM »

hmm..but did you use it before you baked it? I used it on an already baked and painted piece (the coil pot i just posted in the 'completed projects' board, in fact) and it went fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2008 07:22:38 AM »

I'm about to try simple clear nail varnish, I don't imagine it will waterproof my piece, but i'd like to give it a little shine. Has anyone tried it?

You can use clear nail polish on polymer clay... BUT it has to be the right type or it can create problems (immediately or up to six months later). 
If the polish is water-based/acrylic, then it's fine... but if it's not (sometimes called "enamel") then it shouldn't be used with polymer clay.  It can be really hard to tell which is which though since the type is not often stated on the bottle. 
The clear polishes intended for use on fake (acrylic) nails should be acrylics though, and there are some other okay-polishes listed on the Finishes page at my site linked to in my previous reply:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/finishes.htm
...for fingernail polishes, click on the sub-category Fingernail Polishes, which is under the category Other Acrylic/Water-Based Finishes

Non-water based finishes (and paints) will begin to dissolve baked clay at some point leaving it sticky or "melty" looking.
And if the surface is not clean of oils or if a finish is too thick, it can peel later (there can be other reasons for peeling as well ...for those, click on the Peeling category of the Finishes page above).

Clear acrylic finishes will be "waterproof" (though polymer clay is waterproof by itself).

Clear acrylic finishes also come in various degrees of shine, from none to quite glossy, so how much gloss you'll get depends on the particular one you choose.  (And in the case of Future in particular, when it's applied --while still warm from the oven, less glossy; when cool, quite glossy ... sanding and buffing will also improve glossiness though that's not done by most regular clayers).

Clear acrylic finishes can actually be applied to raw clay, but it's not often done for most situations.

HTH,

Diane B.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008 07:32:14 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
extraespresso
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2008 11:45:47 AM »

actually, the clay i was using is salt dough, so i'm not sure of the effects. so far, the piece is holding up well, and i glazed something else with the same varnish and it turned out nicely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2008 02:05:14 PM »

actually, the clay i was using is salt dough, so i'm not sure of the effects. so far, the piece is holding up well, and i glazed something else with the same varnish and it turned out nicely

Oh sorry, right... I forgot you were using salt dough clay. 

Salt dough is a type of air-dry clay so it can be finished with either water-based or non-water-based finishes without damage.  (And I guess there's no reason Future couldn't be used on it either...it's just thinner than other clear finishes so you might want to use 2 coats for maximum waterproofness.)

If a gloss finish of any kind (or even a permanent "white glue" thinned down with water, or a decoupage medium) is used on an air dry clay, the areas covered will be glossy when dry --or they'll be satin or matte if satin/semigloss or matte clear finishes are used.
Those areas will also then be reasonably waterproof (...air dry clays must be sealed though to make them waterproof, unlike polymer clays which are automatically waterproof).

There can be problems with clear finishes no matter what they're used on too just because of humidity and oils, etc....for example, each coat must dry completely before the next is added, oils can act as resists to finishes, and later humidity can be absorbed more easily by some finishes than others giving a cloudy effect.

HTH,

Diane B.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008 02:55:47 PM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Stained Chairs
Tute Tuesday: Box of Chocolates Wreath
Sweet Hearts

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...