A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
264 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Felt Food - For the kiddies  (Read 2511 times)
Tags for this thread: felt_food  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
PeachesEveryday
Just a little peach

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2008 02:48:47 PM »

Not my own kiddies, but the kiddies in my class (4th and 5th graders). I got really into making little felt...foods and shapes during the Hair Stuff Swap. I have a really small class (9 boys, 2 girls) so I made barrettes for the girls. The boys felt very left out and asked for custom pins. Here are the first few. I will keep adding pics as I make more. They don't take very long at all. I got the brownie and the taquito done last night while watching Gossip Girl.

These are pins, a brownie and a taquito. You can't tell from this view but if you were to look in the end of the taquito you can see shredded meat and some green guacamole.

A dumpling...for a little girl who wants to be called "dumpling". The bf said it looked like an empanada...but dumplings are tricky.... It is a hair clip but apparently she hates wearing anything in her hair so it has been clipped to her pocket.

Fun little projects. Tonight I'm working on a taco and a chicken "face"...which isn't actually a food.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious Ambiguity. - Gilda Radner
Autumnflower
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008 03:03:44 PM »

I think the dumpling is well cute!!
I have to say so, but I thought it looked more like a mini pasty  Grin

xxx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KMOM13
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008 04:02:34 PM »

They are cute and I am sure your students will cherish them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
camilaustral

Saludos desde Chile!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008 04:27:10 PM »

it does look like an empanada, i didn't know that in english you knew that word
empanadas are one of the typical food here in Chile
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PeachesEveryday
Just a little peach

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008 09:00:17 PM »

Thanks for the feedback...  Grin

Technically I think an empanada is a kind of pastry...since they can have meat in them or fruit.

I like to think that the cuteness makes up for any lapses in realism.

...if there were an English word for empanada....it just....might just be Hot Pocket...though empanadas are much tastier....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious Ambiguity. - Gilda Radner
IamSusie
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008 09:18:12 PM »

These are all super cute!

In English we also call them empanadas.  I suppose some people call them meat pastries.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PeachesEveryday
Just a little peach

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008 12:39:51 PM »

Another pair. The chicken isn't actually in food form...but I don't want to start another whole topic. That litle boy requested a "chicken face." ...now he wants an egg for it to 'poop' out...I may have to pass.

In case anyone was interested or thinking of making something similar...here is the back view....

I'm trying to make them relatively durable...since I don't really want to be repairing them from now until June. I already had to resew an eye on the dumpling/empanada.

Has anyone else noticed that Latin/South American/Mexican type foods are easier to craft identifiably? If I get asked to craft spaghetti or a sandwich....that would be tricky.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...