A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 315,934
Currently Running With Scissors:
346 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Eric's quilt--aka. that's one big log cabin you've got there....  (Read 1416 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
scifimama
« on: October 13, 2008 09:36:13 PM »

Okay, here is my second quilt of all time, a 30th birthday gift for my brother.  A few weeks ago, as the occasion approached, I hemmed and hawed at what to give him.  Nothing seemed momentous enough.  I thought about making him something, and in fact had already purchased some Ohio and California themed fabric with the vague thought of doing something like a throw pillow.  But he is a guy.  With a girlfriend.  And I am pretty sure that when it comes to throw pillows, she would be the one calling the shots, and I didn't want something I made to be the object of some kind of strange couple argument segue, nor something she insisted only be brought out when I visited.  So I thought about something with some actual use.  A picnic blanket?  Why not!  So with six days to go before traveling to Yosemite to visit him, I started piling manly fabrics together in a kind of lunatic daze. Hopefully the effect isn't quite as eye-searing as I was fearing.

The pattern is my own, a nearly-wonky log cabin on steroids.  I used only fabrics I had in my stash (besides the blue leaves in the last row.  what can I say, I ran out of blue), leftover quilt batting, and a bed sheet for the backing. 

I quilted in the ditch of each row of the log cabin (after ditching plans to tie the quilt. so glad I did) and quilted one single fish in the middle square. 

I apologize for the grievous wrinkles.  We had picnicked.  Proof!

And so, duly baptized, the quilt now lives in Yosemite.  More proof!

That's El Capitan, the largest granite rock face in the world. 

Anyway, there you go.  Made with love, gifted with only a slight twinge of remorse (it's kind of like handing over a baby, I swear), and received with tears and a hug.  Oh wait, I promised him I wouldn't mention the tears.  Ahem.  Received with manly only slightly reddened eyes and a firm pat on the back?  Better? 

(okay, not that you asked, but here is a detail shot of the fish in the middle.  I call the quilt "Eric's fishbowl")
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008 08:55:55 AM by scifimama - Reason: additional pic » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jatteam
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008 09:48:34 PM »

ok i am so happy to be first to reply!  he is lucky - that is an awesome quilt!  and thanks for sharing the beautiful picture with us!  i really do love the quilt, i am sure he will proudly use it and always cherish it.  good work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

que sera, sera.
Momma2FIVEgirls

Still creating the ever growing to do list........

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008 10:16:42 PM »

Beautiful quilt, beautiful story.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Linnybelle
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008 06:34:44 AM »

It's gorgeous!  I've recently sworn off log cabins for a good long time, but yours looks really good.  That's a wonderful story too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for postcards from anywhere to use for RSVP cards for my 8/2012 wedding.  Have 80/200.
Kimi
Domestic Apprentice

Learning the art of thrifty creativity!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008 02:28:20 PM »

I LOVE this. It is the perfect idea for a picnic blanket/quilt! I may have to do something similar for my own brother next Christmas.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's inspiration everywhere!
Crafting for my sons, 5 and 3, and just about anyone else I meet!
My Wists
My Ravelry
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding
Thankful DIY

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...